Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #1

Has anyone created a roof spoiler?

I've always liked the look of roof spoilers/wings/deflectors (whatever you want to call them). I think it helps extend the roof a little bit visually...

Has anyone played around with this or made one for their boxster? I've never used fiberglass so wondering how I'd go about making one.

Here's a rough example of what I'm thinking, lmk your thoughts.

804_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

If I had a hard-top... I could be in. I think it looks kind of cool. Paired with that Joe Toth spoiler...
Old 09-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
Racer Boy

Any sort of roof deflector like the one pictured would make a rear spoiler even les effective, because it delays the separation of the air from the roof. By the time the air tumbles back down to spoiler level, it's past the spoiler.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Any sort of roof deflector like the one pictured would make a rear spoiler even les effective, because it delays the separation of the air from the roof. By the time the air tumbles back down to spoiler level, it's past the spoiler.
Exactly. I’ve always hated spoilers or anything else that is only a styling device. If it has no function don’t do it. Form should always follow function. If Porsche thought it would work they would have done it in the design to begin with.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #5

While I agree function over form has a place, most of the design that goes into cars is form to sell. I've got the 2.5 so I don't plan on breaking the sound barrier just yet. But I've always liked the roof wings on drift cars and wanted to do something different.

Anyways I gave it a go and am pretty happy with the results!

My first two rounds of fiberglass failed, but I found that the miata wing is a good base, and with some heat gun love you can make it work.

804_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:43 AM   #6

Hey 804,

Whats up with the front spoiler? It looks like you added it on to the stock bumper? Thats awesome! Did you make this yourself or did you get a kit? If its a kit, where did you get it? I have been thinking about this idea myself and would love to know how you did it.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:02 AM   #7

I'd pay close attention to the CFD plots before considering anything like this.