Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2020, 05:57 AM   #1

Refinished Turbo Twist Wheels with Wurth Silver Wheel Paint. Not happy...

Happy Memorial Day everyone. I took on the project of refinishing my turbo twist wheels this weekend and am not at all happy with the results. Before I start ranting against Wurth I am going to assume my problem is with the user as I have seen some great results from others using Wurth wheel paint.

My wheels had minor curb rash and scuffs. I washed and degreased them with water and simple green. After they dried I feathered the curb rashed areas with 180 grit sand paper, clean with 91% alcohol, then filled with putty. After the putty was dry I sanded down the puttied surface until I was happy, I then wet sanded the entire face of the wheel with 400 grit paper.

After sanding I washed the wheel again and after it was dry I went over it with 91% alcohol once again. I then applied 4 light coats of primer. After it dried I wet sanded the primer down with 800 grit paper. At this point the wheel was looking phenomenal and I was really excited to see how it was going to look with paint. The goal was to have them looking 100% OEM original.

To prepare for paint I wiped the wheels down again with 91% alcohol. After it dried I used compressed air and a tack cloth to make sure the surface of the wheel was clean. I then applied 4 coats of the Wurth Silver Wheel Paint. I started to worry as the Wurth Silver Wheel paint seemed to be alot darker than the OEM Porsche silver. The paint also dried leaving almost a hairy texture. I looked this up on Wurth's website which stated this was normal and it would smooth out with the clear coat.

I let the silver paint dry for 4 hours then applied 4 coats of Wurth GL Clear Lacquer spray paint. It was nice to see some gloss on the wheels finally. After my 4th coat of clear the wheel still appeared to be darker than OEM but I was hoping it would lighten up as it dried over night.

Here I am 15 hour since clear coating and the result speaks for itself. This Wurth Silver Wheel paint is not even close to an OEM color match. Other post show people ending up with an indistinguishable match. What happened here???? This is not even close. The wheel still has a rough texture to it, feels like 200 grit sand paper when I run my finger over it...Did I do something wrong?? Look at the center cap color VS the color of the refinished wheel.

Filled and Sanded (so far so good)

Primed and Sanded (looking good!)

Painted and Cleared (NOT SO GOOD!)

Products Used

Last edited by jlindsey86; 05-25-2020 at 06:16 AM.
jlindsey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #2

Happy Memorial Day to you2/all.

Don't be offended or burst in panic but I have to ask; did you acquire your materials from an authorized/specialized distributor or you got those from a small retailer? Obvious why I ask already so not going to elaborate why. Additionally, can you confirm the primer is one that Wurth recommend, and not one that could potentially be reactive. They seem to be from different manufacturers jugging from the canisters' label. Although I doubt this to be the problem it can't be ruled out without Wurth's confirmation. ps. when chemicals are involved... yadayada, you see why the concern and why I ask.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Happy Memorial Day to you2/all.

Don't be offended or burst in panic but I have to ask; did you acquire your materials from an authorized/specialized distributor or you got those from a small retailer? Obvious why I ask already so not going to elaborate why. Additionally, can you confirm the primer is one that Wurth recommend, and not one that could potentially be reactive. They seem to be from different manufacturers jugging from the canisters' label. Although I doubt this to be the problem it can't be ruled out without Wurth's confirmation. ps. when chemicals are involved... yadayada, you see why the concern and why I ask.
No offense taken at all. I used the same primer that was used in this DIY guide, which turned out great for them.
BMWTips wheel-scuff repair

This is my first time to refinish wheels but I thought I did everything 100% correctly. Not sure why mine turned out so differently...
Old 05-25-2020, 02:47 PM   #4

Garage
The primer color will impact the final color. I learned this when painting another project. The issue may be from the grey primer. Grey primer gave the final color of a white paint job slight blue hue. I had to redo the job with white primer to get the correct match.

I used no primer doing my rims with great results. I do not know what color primer might be appropriate for the rims.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #5

Thanks. Was worried to add gas on the fire, clearly noticed you aren't too happy already.

Where you got those chemicals from? Are you 100% sure those are legit imports (the wurth, particularly) and supplied by an authorized re-seller? I'm asking because all the wurth stuff we have here is all 100% counterfeit, a canister of anything "Wurth" is between $2.50~5.00 average for us domestically (see attachment). Unfortunately those fake chems 'import-pretenders' are some of the top exports due to the incentives they offer when sold via popular ecommerce platforms (eBay?!) and by other small retailers.

If indeed acquired via an official channel then I can only think of a bad batch, or something went really wrong between the primer and paint (reaction). edit: just read BFeller post above about primer color, didn't know that(!). Good info.

Lastly your wheel as-is does not look half-bad at all, bit of a trendy gun metal tone to it. Bet they look even better in real-life? Maybe try to get the center caps the same color and I'm sure they'll look killer. Re-do them next year or the following year if really that's not your thing.

Last edited by Nine8Six; 05-25-2020 at 04:47 PM. Reason: oops got the price conv wrong, $2.50~5.00 sounds ab right. Cheap for German imports (never!)
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #6

I believe I purchased the Wurth Paint and Clear from autogeek.net, if it wasn't them it was another reputable site that I typically purchase my parts from.

The wheel itself doesn't look bad but it is not the look I am wanting at all. My goal was for it to look 100% OEM, that is why I decided to go with Wurth's paint products.

I appreciate the feedback. I definitely understand that primer can effect the final color of a project. Every thread I have seen recommends using a grey primer. Many times Dupli Color Self Etch primer is recommended successfully, as shown in the link in my last post. Whatever happened turned this project into a rather frustrating one.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #7

Ah man, sorry to hear. I think you've done a good thing by posting the result so that part at least comes out positive (thanks). Let us know what you've settled with at the end.

OT. any of you looking for 'specialized chemicals" do take time to seek advice & supplier(s) recommendation from the manufacturer before buying. Talking about the popular two ecomm in your backyard, guys; already spotted a few listings on eBay e.g. $25.99 for a can they get out of Asia for $0.10 bought in qty. Serious stuff, specially with the wurth products... no joke.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #8

ok. sorry for intruding again. I swear I'm not obsessed, I'm genuinely in that thinkering-process of getting my own wheels painted from black to gunmetal this spring. I might actually end up having to spend the time and do them myself also so all the info is rather interesting lately.

BFella is 100% spot-on. Here goes a video from a gentleman who also knows a trick or two. The basecoat color choice is important. Shocking in fact...

https://youtu.be/ONQxAKBRmms?t=155
Old 05-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #9

Looks dry sprayed, like you held the can too far away. Did you do this out in the sun? Heat is a big factor.
Berryhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berryhill View Post
Looks dry sprayed, like you held the can too far away. Did you do this out in the sun? Heat is a big factor.
I painted the wheel in my garage with the doors opened up for ventilation. The temperature ranged about 75-90 throughout the day. I tried to make sure I held the can about 10 inches away pretty consistently although I'm sure there was some fluctuation.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:16 AM   #11

My 2 cents: The can/s of spray paint were mislabeled that's why the color is so dark . Or they were knockoffs of the real thing . The end finish ( clear coat ) was applied too dry .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindsey86 View Post
I painted the wheel in my garage with the doors opened up for ventilation. The temperature ranged about 75-90 throughout the day. I tried to make sure I held the can about 10 inches away pretty consistently although I'm sure there was some fluctuation.
Silver in rattle cans go bad faster than other colors due to the resins drying in the cans and you can't shake the flakes back up. I've had these happen several times. So basically you are spraying what will mix up. Your sanding looks really good. If you could prep them again and carry them to someone that paints local and have them spray they. Shouldn't cost but a couple of hrs labor plus the paint they use. I like BASF RM products for wheels. I use the basecost with clear hardner. Its not as durable as powdercoat but will last yrs if treated like the paint on your car. If you find someone I can give you the mixing ratio I use.
Berryhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:45 AM   #13

I appreciate the feedback. I ordered some more Wurth paint and am going to try one more wheel. I will make a point to apply wetter coats of clear this time. If this doesn't work out I will be contacting Wurth.

Thanks Berry. If it doesnt come out correctly the second time I will take you up on it. Was hoping to be able to refinish these myself for both the learning experience and the accomplishment. Got a ways to go lol.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:03 AM   #14

You were too far away with the Wurth. Stand closer. 😉

Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote