View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 05:57 AM   #1
jlindsey86

Refinished Turbo Twist Wheels with Wurth Silver Wheel Paint. Not happy...

Happy Memorial Day everyone. I took on the project of refinishing my turbo twist wheels this weekend and am not at all happy with the results. Before I start ranting against Wurth I am going to assume my problem is with the user as I have seen some great results from others using Wurth wheel paint.

My wheels had minor curb rash and scuffs. I washed and degreased them with water and simple green. After they dried I feathered the curb rashed areas with 180 grit sand paper, clean with 91% alcohol, then filled with putty. After the putty was dry I sanded down the puttied surface until I was happy, I then wet sanded the entire face of the wheel with 400 grit paper.

After sanding I washed the wheel again and after it was dry I went over it with 91% alcohol once again. I then applied 4 light coats of primer. After it dried I wet sanded the primer down with 800 grit paper. At this point the wheel was looking phenomenal and I was really excited to see how it was going to look with paint. The goal was to have them looking 100% OEM original.

To prepare for paint I wiped the wheels down again with 91% alcohol. After it dried I used compressed air and a tack cloth to make sure the surface of the wheel was clean. I then applied 4 coats of the Wurth Silver Wheel Paint. I started to worry as the Wurth Silver Wheel paint seemed to be alot darker than the OEM Porsche silver. The paint also dried leaving almost a hairy texture. I looked this up on Wurth's website which stated this was normal and it would smooth out with the clear coat.

I let the silver paint dry for 4 hours then applied 4 coats of Wurth GL Clear Lacquer spray paint. It was nice to see some gloss on the wheels finally. After my 4th coat of clear the wheel still appeared to be darker than OEM but I was hoping it would lighten up as it dried over night.

Here I am 15 hour since clear coating and the result speaks for itself. This Wurth Silver Wheel paint is not even close to an OEM color match. Other post show people ending up with an indistinguishable match. What happened here???? This is not even close. The wheel still has a rough texture to it, feels like 200 grit sand paper when I run my finger over it...Did I do something wrong?? Look at the center cap color VS the color of the refinished wheel.

Filled and Sanded (so far so good)

Primed and Sanded (looking good!)

Painted and Cleared (NOT SO GOOD!)

Products Used

Last edited by jlindsey86; 05-25-2020 at 06:16 AM.
jlindsey86 is offline   Reply With Quote