Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Kernersville, NC
Posts: 98
DIY: Replace Brake Lines (Stainless Steel)

New DIY: Replaced my brake lines with stainless steel. While I had the calipers off to paint them I went ahead and did this upgrade, but split the DIY into two videos.

https://youtu.be/N4S2_vYf_Qw

__________________
1998 Boxster
2015 BMW M4 Dinan Stage 3
2016 BMW S1000XR
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:20 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
New DIY: Replaced my brake lines with stainless steel. While I had the calipers off to paint them I went ahead and did this upgrade, but split the DIY into two videos.

https://youtu.be/N4S2_vYf_Qw
PB Blaster is your friend, and mitigates mucking up those delicate lines nuts.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:22 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Kernersville, NC
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
PB Blaster is your friend, and mitigates mucking up those delicate lines nuts.
Trust me I went through A LOT of PB Blaster... to no avail.
__________________
1998 Boxster
2015 BMW M4 Dinan Stage 3
2016 BMW S1000XR
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
Trust me I went through A LOT of PB Blaster... to no avail.
Oh, Man. I imagine your car went through some weather over the miles. I used PB Blaster and mine came off like a breeze. Further I imagine you must have been white-knuckling it... because those lines can be very delicate and one mis-step...

Again, great vid! And, again, I REALLY like how you don't abbreviate by editing out all the real challenges. Your delivery is very measured... and you are very patient.

What's next on your DIY roster? I'm looking forward to it!
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6
 
paulofto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 1,034
Garage
Great video as always.

I put on SS lines last year and did a full fluid flush at the same time. Having the proper flare nut wrenches and using extreme care and control is so important. As it is I ended up rounding one of the hard line nuts but it tightened enough. I bought a replacement hard line and I will install it when I do my next brake fluid flush.

Keep up the great videos. Yours are some of the best!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Kernersville, NC
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Oh, Man. I imagine your car went through some weather over the miles. I used PB Blaster and mine came off like a breeze. Further I imagine you must have been white-knuckling it... because those lines can be very delicate and one mis-step...

Again, great vid! And, again, I REALLY like how you don't abbreviate by editing out all the real challenges. Your delivery is very measured... and you are very patient.

What's next on your DIY roster? I'm looking forward to it!
Thanks man! I left two of them in white vinegar overnight, PB Blaster, heat, repeat, vice grips, and they are still together. Finally had to order two new ones with the brackets. Ugh. They come tomorrow, so the car is still on the lift.

After that I'll flush the brake fluid of course, and get that posted
__________________
1998 Boxster
2015 BMW M4 Dinan Stage 3
2016 BMW S1000XR
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Kernersville, NC
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Great video as always.

I put on SS lines last year and did a full fluid flush at the same time. Having the proper flare nut wrenches and using extreme care and control is so important. As it is I ended up rounding one of the hard line nuts but it tightened enough. I bought a replacement hard line and I will install it when I do my next brake fluid flush.

Keep up the great videos. Yours are some of the best!
Thanks so much! Means a lot. And thanks to all for the subscriptions, likes, and support!
__________________
1998 Boxster
2015 BMW M4 Dinan Stage 3
2016 BMW S1000XR
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #8
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,297
Nice realistic video!

Is your new paint resistant against brake fluid? I think I messed mine up in one spot during a bleed way back
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Kernersville, NC
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Nice realistic video!

Is your new paint resistant against brake fluid? I think I messed mine up in one spot during a bleed way back
Not really... mine has already rubbed off a little around the bleed nipples where I spilled some on it.

__________________
1998 Boxster
2015 BMW M4 Dinan Stage 3
2016 BMW S1000XR
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page