Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2018, 11:43 PM   #1
Will there be cake?

Garage
DRL hack

Performed this hack on my 2002 and 2001 booster s.
the hack worked perfectly on both cars, then after a day, on the 2001, DRL stays on all the time with ignition on. The headlights don't toggle the fogs off. 2001 has litronic headlights, but the circuit is identical.
I'm figuring the relay is stuck, yeah?
Anyone else have this?
Now both are doing it and it is unacceptable. I want the fog lights on Unless I turn on the headlights.
Fog lights are on constant, inclyding inductior light. I ripping everything put until I understand what went wrong.
I can't be the only one this happened to

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:44 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Did you do the relay hack or the headlight switch jumper?
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:08 AM   #3
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Did you do the relay hack or the headlight switch jumper?
I jumped fuse to leg #86 of relay. At first, the fog lights came on with ignition, went out when I turned on headlights, then a day later, the just stay on all the time. Unacceptable
Old 06-03-2018, 01:57 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
This mod will only shut the fog lights off when the high beams are on.

If you want them off with the headlights, you'll need to pull the relay panel, cut the white wire that goes to pin 85 of the relay, then make a jumper wire from pin 85 to fuse A9 or A10 (low beam left or right).
Note: this method will not work with Litronics as there is no bulb for the relay to get a ground through (ballast instead).
If you want to modify the car with Litronics to work this way, it will be a bit more work, but if you want to go that far, I can certainly write some instructions with diagrams for you.

If you thought they were shutting off with the headlights on before, you were mistaken. Looking at the wiring diagram, there is no way that was happening.

Last edited by particlewave; 06-03-2018 at 02:12 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #5
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
This mod will only shut the fog lights off when the high beams are on.

If you want them off with the headlights, you'll need to pull the relay panel, cut the white wire that goes to pin 85 of the relay, then make a jumper wire from pin 85 to fuse A9 or A10 (low beam left or right).
Note: this method will not work with Litronics as there is no bulb for the relay to get a ground through (ballast instead).
If you want to modify the car with Litronics to work this way, it will be a bit more work, but if you want to go that far, I can certainly write some instructions with diagrams for you.

If you thought they were shutting off with the headlights on before, you were mistaken. Looking at the wiring diagram, there is no way that was happening.
Thanks p-dubs. Perhaps I had the brights on when I was testing and yes, I see there is no way otherwise.
Now that I am convinced something isn't wrong and wires are cooking, I'll put my led h7s in place to keep the heat down and boxster on. Thanks for talking me off the ledge
Old 06-04-2018, 03:57 AM   #6
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
You know the fog lights are set to shine low. I adjusted mine up 10 turns which makes the lights more visable from on coming traffic.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
You know the fog lights are set to shine low. I adjusted mine up 10 turns which makes the lights more visable from on coming traffic.
Yep, well aware and this is good advice worthy of repeat. Up against a wall, car level all around and adjust em. I'll do this when I swap the H7s out with led bulbs.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:13 AM   #8
Veteran & Boxster Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
Yep, well aware and this is good advice worthy of repeat. Up against a wall, car level all around and adjust em. I'll do this when I swap the H7s out with led bulbs.
What LED bulbs did you select? I can’t find any recommendations still offered online...
Farmlifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:54 PM   #9
On the slippery slope

Garage
I did the hack years ago

Try searching for my post, IIRC, I put a link for the LEDs I used
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:34 AM   #10
Veteran & Boxster Padawan

LEDs I selected are brighter than expected. Will monitor if appears hot on the lens can always undo everything back to original.

The DRL function works as reported I never noticed before the automatic leveling motors engage with I turn the key - mod or not tried both configurations (OEM/DRL). Got the fused add a circuit here

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CSELMO8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_tzk.Fb1YRAT3Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And tap

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQBNFI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_qAk.Fb35H0KF9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And LED

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MBNBJMF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_6Ak.FbASC7MZ2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My first 986forum modification done!
Attached Images