Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #1

Headlamp washer nozzles

My 2004 Boxster S had two of its' headlamp washer nozzles ripped off by some low-life. I was wondering if it is possible if there is somewhere to get JUST THE NOZZLES without having to buy the whole assembly. The local Porsche dealer says I must purchase the ENTIRE washer assembly for $186 meaning having to take off the front bumper to replace the unit. It seems like a lot of work and expense just because the nozzles are missing, as the rest of the unit is working just fine. Please help!!

jeeper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:13 AM   #2

Not a cheap fix no matter what. You may want to find someone parting out their car. Here are a couple links to the parts:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/PartsLookup/HTML/986_USA_KATALOG/904-20-Frame3.htm

http://www.986online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Store.cgi?Product+skukey_1124724420+Boxster+Bo dyElectrical-Boxster

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #3

wow, nearly $200! Does anyone actually use these things? I used mine once and it was by accident. Had no idea what was going on, just saw a mist of something shooting by my drivers side window. Maybe you could replace the hole with a row of led's like the audi's. just an idea.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #4

Yes, they are high dollar and that is for just one side.

I believe they are programmed to go spray after so many pulls on the windshield washer switch.

Totally useless in my opinion and obviously a part that can be vandalized pretty easily.

You could always buy the triangles that do not have the opening cut in for the nozzle. This would be the route I would go at this point.

http://www.986online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Store.cgi?Product+skukey_26+Boxster+BodyElectr ical-Boxster

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12

Last edited by jwade; 12-11-2009 at 06:37 AM.
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #5

They spray, but only when the headlights are on.

I lost two of my nozzles a couple years ago.

What happens, is that the water in the nozzles freezes, and cracks the plastic that holds them in place. Next time you use them, they eject!!!!

I ended up buying two new sets from sunset porsche in Oregon.

I never use the feature either, but hated having extra holes in the front of my car.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #6

Talking Just The NOZZLES!

I've lost a few of these headlight washer jets/nozzles on my 986 too! I refuse to pay $200+ for a little round piece of plastic that, for the most part, only serves a minor cosmetic purpose. After finding a seller on eBay that sells just the nozzles for $40 a piece, I knew they could be found elsewhere at a better price!

FOUND THEM! For anyone that needs just the jet/nozzle, this is a BMW part for their e46 model's headlight washer. THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME ROUND NOZZLES! Two nozzles on this part. To avoid damaging the jet, I just cut the bottom under the nozzle and popped em out instead of pulling them out. Only $40 at your local BMW dealer!

BMW part number: 616 742 908 68

AND... The ones on eBay apparently are selling at $40 each... So for those of you that have the time and need gas money...
ivectoru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivectoru1 View Post
I've lost a few of these headlight washer jets/nozzles on my 986 too! I refuse to pay $200+ for a little round piece of plastic that, for the most part, only serves a minor cosmetic purpose. After finding a seller on eBay that sells just the nozzles for $40 a piece, I knew they could be found elsewhere at a better price!

FOUND THEM! For anyone that needs just the jet/nozzle, this is a BMW part for their e46 model's headlight washer. THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME ROUND NOZZLES! Two nozzles on this part. To avoid damaging the jet, I just cut the bottom under the nozzle and popped em out instead of pulling them out. Only $40 at your local BMW dealer!

BMW part number: 616 742 908 68

AND... The ones on eBay apparently are selling at $40 each... So for those of you that have the time and need gas money...
Great detective work! Thanks!

N00b question: Can the replacements be installed from the exterior of the vehicle (i.e., just the caps), or do you have to open up the front trunk to get at the washer?

Again, thanks!
JaxJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #8

Lead squirter noozles would be more useful than the water squirters.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post

ha ha now that's funny! off to the future than!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post

Now that would be awesome!

For my purposes, whether they work or not is beside the point. I just want to cover the hole left where one of the caps is missing. Purely cosmetic.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxJim View Post
Great detective work! Thanks!

N00b question: Can the replacements be installed from the exterior of the vehicle (i.e., just the caps), or do you have to open up the front trunk to get at the washer?

Again, thanks!
You don't have to pull assembly or anything. Make sure the empty nozzle ports are clean/dry then lightly prep with VERY small amount of pipe cement or krazy glue. Pre-aim the nozzles as you set them in the ports, because the'll set fast, and won't pop out again!
ivectoru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivectoru1 View Post
You don't have to pull assembly or anything. Make sure the empty nozzle ports are clean/dry then lightly prep with VERY small amount of pipe cement or krazy glue. Pre-aim the nozzles as you set them in the ports, because the'll set fast, and won't pop out again!
Perfect! Thanks much!
Old 09-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #13

so its just the little nozzle. i need to fill in the entire hole thru the corner piece.
embryoguy@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #14

nozzles

got the entire assembly from d.c.auto for free because I asked for them. Bought some other stuff as well but the guy said they have a bunch back there they throw alot away. I think one guy said 75 dollar min. order but they fired him. I asked the dealership about mine when purchased (brumos) some mechanic came out and told me bumper had to come off, subsequently working on the headlight found after removing headlight there it was. to remove front bumper 20 minutes maybe, very easy and lots of fun. You should read all the posts on here that start with Im no mechanic and end with how much fun and satisfying. As my redneck R.V. mech. says it aint the f***** space shuttle, however I do leave internals for the NASA boys
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:34 AM   #15

Garage
I am missing a casing too, honestly, what is the use for these other than something to add into the contact list? I see no point of washers without a wiper like on the old volvos.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #16

or you could just get the plain corner piece for the headlight and be done with the problem once and all. it will probably reduce your drag coefficient to boot....
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I am missing a casing too, honestly, what is the use for these other than something to add into the contact list? I see no point of washers without a wiper like on the old volvos.
They are a legal requirement in Europe with HID lighting and if pressure is high enough wiper not required or needed. Fwiw automatic leveling is also required with HID.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #18

Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_0THARUP9A#t=262
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #19
inveniam viam aut faciam

FWIW, ECS Tuning has them for $32.12 if you just want the nozzles or here for the correct assembly.

You will find that there are a lot of parts on Porsches that are actually from other German car manufacturers, but cost A LOT more from Porsche. Don't bother looking at Audi though, the same parts cost more there. I found a couple of electronic modules from late model Audis that are shared with Lamborghinis, and are significantly cheaper if you get them from a Lamborghini dealer. Imagine that...

Last edited by Qmulus; 09-14-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #20

My 2003 Boxster has just failed it's MOT on a faulty washer jet. I'm pretty sure it's just missing the nozzle as it was like that when I bought it. This is a great saving if it works, definitely going to give it a go!

Thx,
Adam

monty77uk is offline   Reply With Quote