986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   Infotainment System for Porsche Car [from CAD, prototyping to finish] (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/66808-infotainment-system-porsche-car-%5B-cad-prototyping-finish%5D.html)

hemonu 08-22-2017 09:05 PM

Hi Fred, please put me on the list for the PREMIUM, too. That will be fun [emoji1] [emoji1]

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900FD mit Tapatalk

78F350 08-23-2017 11:35 AM

I'm thinking of 2 x Premium, and a Platinum. ...and maybe another.

Is it an option to get it without the kit? (enclosure, mounting kit, Porsche bezel + $175)
Two of my Boxsters already have 2DIN systems installed and I have another kit in mind for the Cayenne.

Troy.Boxster 08-23-2017 11:49 AM

I'm in for a Premium!

MWS 08-23-2017 12:31 PM

I am very interested, but would like to hear more details of the functionality of the shell setting on top of the OS. Until now, much discussion has centered around the hardware and design (which is impressive), and not trying to be the "function over form" person, but what is the out-of-box plug-n-play experience? I do hope that this isn't just a "developer's box" as my current coding skills are about as relevant as as my "BASIC" skills. Lol.

Have you considered a YouTube demo as things progress?

Best wishes, and keep up the good fight! :)

BruceH 08-23-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 547660)

@BruceH
Captain, this project was partly inspired by your iPad installation. Funny how things goes loll Although this one has root certificate store so you’ll be able to log in your airline VPN/Intranet and look at your flight manifest while on your way to work. Who knows, you might also be able to start-up your Jet’s turbo fan engines remotely also ;) Can’t wait myself Bruce, hang on there bud :/

Happy to be an inspiration :cheers:

Nine8Six 08-23-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemonu (Post 547661)
Hi Fred, please put me on the list for the PREMIUM, too. That will be fun [emoji1] [emoji1]

Keeping one for you! Local pickup?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 547695)
I'm thinking of 2 x Premium, and a Platinum. ...and maybe another.

John, send me a pm in a few weeks I'll know more. You can also email (same email bud)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy.Boxster (Post 547697)
I'm in for a Premium!

Troy, I've kept one for you since day 1 buddy ;)

Nine8Six 08-23-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWS (Post 547700)
Best wishes, and keep up the good fight! :)

Nice, you too bud :cheers:

standard qa format..sorry man :rolleyes:

Q: I am very interested, but would like to hear more details of the functionality of the shell setting on top of the OS.
A: I plan to base the UI (shell) onto what you've seen in earlier posts. That Amber Dream Color material! Obviously going to come in a very simple format at first, because we love simple (easier to get stuff to work and it looks better loll). We'll see a lot of evolution in that software as-it-progress also I'm not worried.

Could get real ugly with smart car apps of all caliber and significance later on, who knows. We have ppl on this board that could code pretty much anything that you and I both can only dream of so... game is not over, still hopes LOLL

Q: what is the out-of-box plug-n-play experience? I do hope that this isn't just a "developer's box"
A: Nah, its just a Laptop, tinny tiny laptop! You don't need to be able to kill in C++ to operate. Few developer add-ons but you are not forced bud. You need to try at least... perhaps you could share how you wired your real-time plotted oil pressure sensor with us :p

Q: Have you considered a YouTube demo as things progress?
A: Not yet, will certainly think about that. Got to be done I guess

sppdev 08-23-2017 01:59 PM

I'm interested in the Premium Version too (with shipping to Germany).

Really looking forward to see the final product in action.

Edit: Quick question - how will streaming be possible? Are you able to pair your phone and than control everything via the unit? Have you added a optical out? Or what possibilities are given to connect it to a amplifier? As I'm running a DSP with Amp, for me it's just important to get the sound in the highest possible quality and uninfluenced by the unit out to the DSP.

I am using the Mosconi D2 80.6 DSP

Nine8Six 08-23-2017 02:44 PM

sorry for the sticky QA thing, I'm trying my best here lolll

Q: how will streaming be possible?
A: I have a small (thumb size) 4G wifi dongle here given by China Telecom, disposable sim card. Loaded with 44GB valid for 24months. How does it work in Germany? bet you can have a similar deal, you'd need to check before. 44Gb lolll if you download a lotttt, for normal use I guess you could simply use your mobile as access point, if your carrier allows it (tethering).

Q: Are you able to pair your phone and than control everything via the unit?
A: Not at the moment, unless someone can prove me wrong. Or we might already have mobile Apps for remote desktop already, haven't looked much in this I'll be honest.

Q: Have you added a optical out?
A: No optical. Audio is L/R from Intel HD chip. Sound/channels can be enhanced digitally using USB interface sound cards or studio grade mini pre-amps (if you are in fidelity material). Comes in a all price ranges really ($29.99~$4,000+).

Q: Or what possibilities are given to connect it to a amplifier?
Q: As I'm running a DSP with Amp, for me it's just important to get the sound in the highest possible quality and uninfluenced by the unit out to the DSP.

A: You seem to know more than I do on this. There are just way too many options/brands for me to stop and chose one, and I don't find that part funny at all (in all honesty). If you know of any proven solution for the 986, you got to tell us my friend. I bet there is more a few ways to hook this up but if you are convinced that your method is the best in-the-world, you need to tell us :cool:

MWS 08-24-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

... perhaps you could share how you wired your real-time plotted oil pressure sensor with us
http://www.didntdothat.duh/whatsanoilpressuresensor/howdoisetmyvcr/hasanyoneseenmycarkeys?/ineedabeer.jpg

:) lol :)

Wallace River 08-24-2017 02:35 PM

Step by step

I'm hoping someone on here (I know it will happen :) ) will enter step by step installation procedures for this. I have 2 left thumbs on both hands and about the most complicated thing I have done successfully is install Fred's illuminated wind stop. By the way Fred, STILL totally loving that thing. Was so proud of myself when I got it installed and wired in and it worked lol. I sense this will be a LOT more complicated!

Nine8Six 08-24-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallace River (Post 547841)
I'm hoping someone on here (I know it will happen :) ) will enter step by step installation procedures for this.

Yes yes yes, excellent idea, that would be great help. Thank you guys!!!

Problem is, and as I've mentioned earlier, everybody's tastes & goals are different installation-wise so it is difficult to come down to a 'One Solution' fits everybody. The tons (and tons) of sound/connectivity options and 'gadgets' that are currently available in the Car Stereo marketplace could keep anyone busy for the next 500 years. It is almost fun. (no offense to folks who like this stuff).

Eventually I am hoping for something like e.g.

1) Trash the old Porsche headunit (sorry folks, again no offense)
2) Re-attach yellow ground wire to car's body
3) Relocate HVAC, install new trim around it (PN. 996.xxx.xxx)
3) Install 2DIN kit, connect 12V to the back unit
4) and plug that kit/harness (visual below) in the Porsche OEM ISO female connector
5) Turn key to ON

Something like that. That would be the most easiest and cheapest way to do it while retaining the stock amp and wiring. Anybody who wants to fabricate (professionally please) this harness and sell it for what its worth, be my guess! Something less for me to do ;)

Some inspiration for you tech/fabricator people!.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02/iso1503618141.jpg

Nine8Six 08-24-2017 03:53 PM

I (obviously) could get someone to do the harness locally, and sell the full kit back to you folks for $1,800?! But then it wouldn't be a fun DIY kit anymore... more like a Full Blown & Ultimate Porsche Infotainment System :D

Open for ideas:

oldskool73 08-24-2017 05:03 PM

>> 3) Relocate HVAC, install new trim around it (PN. 996.xxx.xxx)

Climate Control Module Trim Panel/Cover 9965523390001C - Genuine Porsche - 996-552-339-00-01C | Pelican Parts

"...Full Blown & Ultimate Porsche Infotainment System" Boom, there's your name... U-PIS! Can also have an Intermediate Porsche Infotainment System, Web Enabled Porsche Infotainment System etc... :) (yes, I think I may still be a teenager stuck in an adults body!)

thatguychad 08-24-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskool73 (Post 547857)
>> 3) Relocate HVAC, install new trim around it (PN. 996.xxx.xxx)

Climate Control Module Trim Panel/Cover 9965523390001C - Genuine Porsche - 996-552-339-00-01C | Pelican Parts

"...Full Blown & Ultimate Porsche Infotainment System" Boom, there's your name... U-PIS! Can also have an Intermediate Porsche Infotainment System, Web Enabled Porsche Infotainment System etc... :) (yes, I think I may still be a teenager stuck in an adults body!)

That bezel looks like a single DIN and would be too small for my Porsche Entertainment, Navigation, and Information System.

oldskool73 08-24-2017 07:28 PM

Lol, Touché!!

Yeah that's just the trim for the climate control that you have to move to the lower console, to make room for those of us with the larger units ;)

Coaster 08-25-2017 06:06 AM

I'm in for one also. ��

JayG 08-25-2017 06:41 AM

Metra sells a adapter for the factory stereo connector so you don't have to cut any wires

Nine8Six 08-25-2017 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coaster (Post 547914)
I'm in for one also. ��

Glad to hear man :cheers:

@JayG, thanks bud!!!

RE audio, I am tossing my schedule by a day to also test a Bluetooth 4.0 audio receiver nx week (man I hate wires). Has 4CH line out and can easily be interfaced to the P's ISO connector pin-outs and be manufactured half-decently. I'll let you guys know what's the deal on those

hrrrr another option out of a hundred others lollll Might end up doing our own pcb and logic on this one and call it a day, just need something call 'time' :/

In the meantime, if anyone have better or great ideas please share!

Nine8Six 08-26-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 547848)
2) Re-attach yellow ground wire to car's body

What yellow wire, there is no grd yellow wira lolll And don't plug line level outputs in any ISO connectors (^), the only song you'll hear playing is "Silence" from Artist Eternity.

Just goes to show... our car-audio experts are NOT reading these posts/threads, sad stuff! So let's all just continue this will pics then!

Those of you who had problems with the look & feel of the kit enclosure, or had any mod requests, are sadly passed the deadline! This is loading in the machine this coming Wed evening. Just so we can have toys to play with next weekend :D

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02/061503784895.jpg

^ Rather simple fixture plate for now, just cost $300 in time and material(AL) to put together loll But super simple, we love simple. If the production demand gets nasty one day we can always triple this surface area, therefore 3 kits at a time.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02/041503784904.jpg

^ Loaded into the machine and clamped on the vise. The 4th and vise should really leave the space but until we know for sure that this kit rock & roll, that's going to be it; Risk4Crashes!

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02/051503784914.jpg

^ All machining prog begins with the roughing passes! The part where wasted material fly everywhere, in the little openings, stick to the ceiling and get your coolant pump jammed up.

Couldn't be more fun!!! I'll grab a fresh new set of sharp tools tomorrow on my way to the office. Got to be super duper sharp... cutting thermoplastic here (Acetal, engineering plastic... Delrin they call it in the USA)