Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

Craigslist "bargain"...

Yes that title is somewhat tongue in cheek, but I do have a question that I'm hoping some of you all will have an answer/educated guess for me. There is a '99 boxster with 150K miles, asking price is $3200, and there is an issue with the car, shocker I know. Seller claims that there is a misfire code on one bank of the engine and has included a picture of the code...they are as follows
P0446 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control circuit malfunction
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire detected
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire detected
and lastly pictured
P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor A (bank 1) - Circuit Ranges Performance

walk away, or run? or is this something that is common or that there is a relatively simple fix for?

1stTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #2

If you replace cam position sensor I'll bet all the codes go away.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #3

What dghii said. The part isn't outrageous in cost and if you are handy it's a do it yourself job.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
What dghii said. The part isn't outrageous in cost and if you are handy it's a do it yourself job.
Yes, but that is one of many potential problems that can cause those codes. If you are buying a Porsche with misfires all across bank 1 and an implausible camshaft position indication, do you want to assume that it's the $30-$90 part that can be reached easily?
I have bought a lot of troubled cars. In fact, they rarely interest me if they don't have a few problems. If I was considering this car, I would assume that the most economical repair would involve a replacement short-block and price it accordingly. The problem that you can easily see, usually isn't the only problem or the most serious problem.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Yes, but that is one of many potential problems that can cause those codes. If you are buying a Porsche with misfires all across bank 1 and an implausible camshaft position indication, do you want to assume that it's the $30-$90 part that can be reached easily?
I have bought a lot of troubled cars. In fact, they rarely interest me if they don't have a few problems. If I was considering this car, I would assume that the most economical repair would involve a replacement short-block and price it accordingly. The problem that you can easily see, usually isn't the only problem or the most serious problem.
I agree to consider worst case when considering your offer. I've found, on the 4 Boxster's I've bought it that all the potential 'bad' problems ended up not being anything serious at all.

I think that folks that are paying for all their repairs just get tired of it and give up.

Once car I bought, a 98 back in 2010 had a top with a bad rear window no power top operation. The PO told me he was quoted just under $3K to resolve the problems and he was done. I found his power top relay to be missing...weird, but installing a used top relay ($60) restored the tops operation. I then sourced a top and frame for $500 shipped.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
... Once car I bought, a 98 back in 2010 had a top with a bad rear window no power top operation. ...
and I bet you got an awesome deal on that car - priced as the worst case. Certainly the more you know about these cars, the better 'luck' you can have in buying a troubled one. As a first time 986 buyer, there are a lot of potential hazards. Even with one that is presented as trouble free.