Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #1

Garage
A sister to adopt

I have seen my neighbor driving his nice blue Boxster S my 2000 since I moved to new flat around 3 years ago. Around a year ago, his plastic top window fell apart, then he started having issues with battery going flat. He changed battery and discovered something was draining it.
He left the car outside the parking space since that (6+ months), got two months heavy rain inside during our rainy season. Recently I was looking at that with sadness and decided to ask him what are his plans.
It turns out he wants to get rid of the car for a very reasonable price. I have spent 10 minutes checking car condition.
Car starts ok, good idle but there is some irregular rev during mild gas pedal touch.
High revs looks fine. It might be old petrol in tank or I suspect old, dirty MAF.
Top plastic window fell off leaving a nice hole, so a complete top will need to be replaced to my understanding. As well as top mechanism not working.
Remote unlock is not working, I suspect it got wet and rusty under the drivers seat.
You can see he how he removed carpets, fuse cover etc.. in attempt to find and fix battery drain.
Car obviously needs some attention but for a bargain price is very tempting and I might end to adopt her
We are on early negotiation..

notech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:20 PM   #2

Garage

Old 06-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #3

Garage

Old 06-21-2016, 05:57 AM   #4

Turn it into a track car? Then you won't need to worry about interior, convertible top (find a fiberglass one for it), door locks, etc.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:10 AM   #5

Did the computer under the drivers seat get wet?

That computer could be expensive. When water gets in a Boxster from clogged drain plugs (check those too), the water pools under the seat and can kill the computer.
The plastic rear window can be repaired if the top fabric is OK. If you don't find a shop that does car tops, look for an upholstery shop that specializes in boats since they do a lot of plastic work.
tlc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #6

Garage
Little update,
I was on holiday for the past 3 weeks. Came back, and we got the deal! Car should be mine as of next week.
First attention points will be, not in order of importance:
1. Investigate on battery drain (test battery, remove aftermarket parts, mA on idle, fuse by fuse)
2. Fix top glass window, I mistakenly thought its plastic (might be possible to re-attach it)
3. Restore leather seats (leather filler and color)
4. Invesitgate on broken top mechanism
5. Investigate on spoiler malfunction (not going up or down, throws error)
6. Investigate on central lock issues (door lock/unlock not working)
7. Investigate on irregular revs (old fuel?,MAF, butterfly cleaning, sparks, coils)
8. Change oil, filter, coolant, flush brakes
9. Check transmission fluid
10. Paint job where peeled off and wax
11. Headlights restoration
12. Install S MY2003 exhaust tip
13. Install LED tail lights
14. Wheels restoration (paint is peeling)
15. Scan for OBD errors

Cannot wait to put my hands on the little blue..

Anything I might forgot?

Last edited by notech; 07-13-2016 at 06:49 AM.