Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 11:01 PM   #1

Garage
Wheel paint color?

Does anyone know what the closest paint for the center hub caps. I'm in the process of restoring mine and they are flaking and pealing. Thanks for your help.

Tony

Old 05-05-2016, 03:03 AM   #2

I had the same problem last year. So I went to the local Auto Zone to see what they had in touch up paint. There were so many different types of silver paint, I was dumb founded.
All I can tell you is the one I got is NOT the correct one. So you can scratch this one off of your list. At a distance it is not too noticeable, but up close you can see it doesn't match. Looks better than the peeling plastic but not up to P car standards. If you find out what matches, let us know.
On Rennlist they recommend Wurth Silver Wheel Paint, but at $22 for a spray can plus $8 shipping, I think I'd just get some EvilBay knockoff wheel caps.

Dupli Color
BGM508 Ultra Silver Met (95 WA8867, 96 WA8867)
Replaces T191
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 05-05-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:32 AM   #3

Garage
I used Rust-Oleum High Performance Wheel in silver to touch up my lug nuts and it is a fairly close match.

Rust-Oleum 248927 Automotive 11-Ounce High Performance Wheel Spray Paint, Steel - Aluminum Wheel Paint - Amazon.com
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
I had the same problem last year. So I went to the local Auto Zone to see what they had in touch up paint. There were so many different types of silver paint, I was dumb founded.
All I can tell you is the one I got is NOT the correct one. So you can scratch this one off of your list. At a distance it is not too noticeable, but up close you can see it doesn't match. Looks better than the peeling plastic but not up to P car standards. If you find out what matches, let us know.
On Rennlist they recommend Wurth Silver Wheel Paint, but at $22 for a spray can plus $8 shipping, I think I'd just get some EvilBay knockoff wheel caps.

Dupli Color
BGM508 Ultra Silver Met (95 WA8867, 96 WA8867)
Replaces T191
Ha - that's great!

I went on a similar spree at O-reiley auto parts (also carrying the duplicolor product line) to identify a silver that matched the interior silver color Porsche uses (which might not be quite the same as the wheel silver paint). Here is the one I found which was closest...

(Shown with the factory silver knob knob insert above for sheen comparison).

Even with that, the color match is a bit different yet after clear-coating it, which you should if you want it to last.

These touch-up rattle can sprays are fast-drying lacquer, which is not very solvent resistant or durable, by the way.

The most durable paint is a 2-part clearcoat. If you're going rattle can, this would be a very good choice for topping whatever you use for the metallic base coat:
Spraymax: 2K Clear Glamour
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #5

Garage
bump on this. Any ideas what works?

Tony
Old 05-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #6

I found that Wurth is the closest...expensive and some have commented that using non Wurth clear has given them trouble. I did a wheel in the Duplicolor silver wheel paint and it was way to bright.

achillies is offline   Reply With Quote