Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2015, 03:55 AM   #1

Removing plexiglass windscreen from frame

Fred's world class Skybreaker in hand. Windscreen easily removed from car. Trying to remove glass from frame, very frustrating. Saw jonD's description of just pulling it apart with no luck.

There appear to be clips in the frame holding the glass in but don't want to break anything by prying so I'm stumped so far. Anyone help?

Thanks, Larry

022520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:11 AM   #2

No clips...it does literally just pop out with a bit of work. Use the search on here - someone posted some picture walkthroughs that I followed and it worked like a charm.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
This is an excellent DIY project guide! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 022520 View Post
Fred's world class Skybreaker in hand. Windscreen easily removed from car. Trying to remove glass from frame, very frustrating. Saw jonD's description of just pulling it apart with no luck.

There appear to be clips in the frame holding the glass in but don't want to break anything by prying so I'm stumped so far. Anyone help?

Thanks, Larry
Old 09-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #4

Garage
Think of this when cranking a wrench - finger pressure, wrist pressure, forearm pressure, shoulder pressure. Each engages ever increasing the strength of stronger muscles. You should be able to pull the frame off of the windscreen with finger pressure. If you are pulling off the frame with anything more than finger pressure - it would probably be from pulling in the wrong direction/force.

Last edited by BFeller; 09-06-2015 at 06:17 AM.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:08 AM   #5

Thanks guys,

Actually had to use a small screwdriver to get the process started. Gentle prying then a strong shoulder/arm pull lol. Guess 15 years of not being removed made it a little harder. But old screen out with no damage to frame, installation of world-class Skybreaker screen can now proceed.

Larry
022520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
Toppy

Garage
When I took mine apart there was a black weather stripping around the old glass in the frame. It came out in pieces. I didn't put it back in with the new wind breaker, should I have done so? There is a slight rattle now at high speed, I was thinking of putting in something between the glass and frame, any suggestions?
Old 12-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

I don't own a Boxster, but perhaps I can suggest a material. If plex is set in a channel it cannot be restrained or it will crack so an adhesive with flexible properties should be used to allow movement at temp. There are several good adhesives on the market. Try looking at 3M products. I have a 3 x 4 foot plex rear window running in another car and I used an adhesive I found for arichitectual use in skylites. Your application sounds much simpler. BTW if you see the WRC and NASCAR windows they are probably held with clips . If not, the hold down fasteners sit on 3X diameter holes to allow the movement.

arthrodriver is offline   Reply With Quote