Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #1

Just installed a new top

I just finished installing a new top, it wasn't too bad of a job now that it's done. The first time you do things is always the hardest, if I had to do it again I'm sure it would be much easier. It came out pretty decent, there are a few wrinkles I have to take care of but maybe at a later date. I was quoted $750.00 for labor from one local shop and $1,800. for a new top with glass and labor from another shop. He did recommend the GAHH brand, I bought a Sierra brand with the German cloth and the plastic window for around $390.00. So I saved the labor cost at least and the hassle of taking there and leaving it for a few days. Here's a pic of it and thanks to Mike Focke for posting the installation instructions they definitely helped me.

Last edited by joecal; 08-31-2015 at 01:58 PM.
joecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #2

Good for you! Looks great. Afraid to try and my 2000 S original top is in need.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:45 AM   #3

It actually isn't a bad job to diy. I replaced mine with a glass top and literally installed the first time with zero wrinkles. Definitely not worth paying someone the extra labor costs..
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeedp View Post
Good for you! Looks great. Afraid to try and my 2000 S original top is in need.
Thanks, you could do yours, just take your time. I did have to replace the clamping rails that broke while removing them but that was probably my fault. They're inexpensive at around $13.00 each from Pelican. That's great you had no wrinkles in your top, I'm impressed!

Last edited by joecal; 08-31-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #5

I've got a top sitting in my boot but I'm too scared to put it on haha and I'm definitely not keen on paying someone $900 to $1200 to put it on for me especially when I got the top for $350 it seems ridiculous anyway nice job and I'm sure I'll get around to it one day.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by More View Post
I've got a top sitting in my boot but I'm too scared to put it on haha and I'm definitely not keen on paying someone $900 to $1200 to put it on for me especially when I got the top for $350 it seems ridiculous anyway nice job and I'm sure I'll get around to it one day.
Thanks, it's wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I thought too if I ruined the top, I could buy 2 more for what they wanted for labor.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:29 PM   #7

I did mine last summer...got to do it twice as I received a top for an 03-04 Boxster and didn't know it until I got the whole thing on and saw the rear window sagging like crazy!

The company sent me a new top and I sent the wrong one back. My removal and install time was a fraction of the first time!

The top came out great!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
I did mine last summer...got to do it twice as I received a top for an 03-04 Boxster and didn't know it until I got the whole thing on and saw the rear window sagging like crazy!

The company sent me a new top and I sent the wrong one back. My removal and install time was a fraction of the first time!

The top came out great!
Practice makes perfect, I bet you were ticked at first. Like you mentioned if I had to do it again, it would be much faster and easier. At least yours came out great! I have a few wrinkles on the sides of mine, probably from rushing the job. I now have to try and fix that, so it's more work for me in the long run, haste makes waste. I really hate to take things apart again, but it's bothering me, I know it could look better.