Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #1

Garage
New Brakes .... What to buy?

I have an 03 S and I'm going to be doing the brakes on my car soon. The rotors have a lip on them so I'll be changing them to. I'm also looking to replace the brake lines with stainless, and flush the fluid. Here is what I'm looking at:

Rotors - ATE These seem to be popular and are reasonably priced. Is there a better buy out there? I'm not looking for the cheapest rotors, but I want good value.

pads - Textar Same question.

SS lines - I was looking at Goodridge, but at $147, they are more than twice the cost of the standard SS lines that Pelican offers. Is there a compelling reason to go with Goodridge?

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Old 07-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Tony

What kind of driving are you planning for?
Track
Auitocross
Spirited street
????

the pads you choose will be somewhat determined by that
For example, pure track pads will be bad on the street and plain oem street pads will probably under perform with heavy track use
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #3

Garage
I'm not planning any track time, but that might change. Even if I did track it, it would be pretty rare.

Tony
Old 07-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
ATE and Textar are good choices for a mostly street car. Hawk pads are probably the next step up in terms of heat range.

If you MUST change your brake lines to SS braided, Goodridge is the first choice. I actually prefer stock brake lines (along with all the Porsche factory racing teams). All brake lines are steel braided but the stock ones have steel sandwiched in between rubber layers. Less bling than exterior braid but better protection from the elements.

Last edited by Topless; 07-09-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:25 AM   #5

Garage
Is Pelican the best source for the parts, or is there somewhere better (cheaper)?

Tony

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
amazon, ebay are both good
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #7

Garage
I'm having a tough time finding the Textar front pads for my 03 S. Pelican are out indefinitely. Any one have any ideas?

Tony
Old 07-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
still plays with cars...

Garage
A different take...

Tony,
My car had Textar pads when I bought it. The performed beautifully, but the dusting made me crazy. I had to wash the wheels weekly to keep the fronts from going completely black.
When I did the front brakes this past April, I went with Akebono Euro pads and new Porsche dealership rotors.
I don't track or AX, and haven't noticed any difference at all except the lack of brake dust generated.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #9

I tried the pelican hoses a few years ago and ended up sending them back. The fittings were missing the rib that prevents them from twisting in the bracket where they attach to the hard line. This means the twisting force on the hose when the wheel is turned is transferred to the hard line, which is not good IMO. Otherwise, they looked ok. If they have modified the fittings I would use them. The goodridge hoses have the proper fittings and work well. I really like the gyrodisc hoses I have now, but I am not sure they are still available.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #10
Usercpy

Garage
Got this set from E-Line, Great price on eBay, Posi brake pads make no dust at all, and hardware included. Feels no differnce from OEM pads. Previus pads was Pagid and that make lots of dust.
I use them for street and its more than good.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #11

Garage
I'm having trouble finding the Textar front pads. It looks like I'm going with Akebono all around for the low dust.

Tony
Old 07-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

I'm in the same boat---at least with regard to front brakes. Pads definitely long in the tooth, and rotors (which I assume are original) have a lip that's gotta be 1 mm, probably more, on each side. Time to do 'em both.

Leaning strongly towards the Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors with the EBC Redstuff pads, but stumbled on this at (of all places) Rock Auto:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3801993&cc=1388358&jnid=407&jpid=1

Anybody have any experience with these? They look pretty nice and at a reasonable price. A local Search here for Evolution brake supplies came up empty.

If I go with the Zimmerman rotors, anybody have experience with both the EBC Redstuff pads and the perhaps more popular Akebono pads? Any reason to pick one over the other? The other thing I wondered about was this: I read a few posts where people mentioned a different "feel" to the ceramic pad vs the more "dusty" pads. Any opinions on that?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:43 PM   #13
still plays with cars...

Garage
Frodo, I haven't noticed any difference in braking ability or pedal feel with my Akebono pads; even when I'm going all high school on it.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:10 AM   #14

I had Zimm`s on my 944S and liked them. It had Pagid pads. I had an Integra modded for SoloI and used EBC Greens. Liked them as well.I think your combo would be tons of brake.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #15

Brake Pad Choice

Akebono Euro Ultra Premium pads, and forget the tedious job of cleaning your wheels forever! My racing mechanic suggested them, and I love them!

Add them to your choice of rotors. (Stock rotors wear out as fast as stock pads, so you are guaranteed to need them too)
gr8rcfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:47 AM   #16

Garage
I ended up going with Akebono pads front and rear. I'll install them in the next few weeks. One question. When looking at the rear pads that I got, I noticed that all of them were exactly the same. Is there not a difference between the inner an outer pads on the Boxster? I don't want to wait till I have everything taken apart to find that I have an issue.

Thanks.
Tony

Last edited by amagalla; 08-04-2015 at 09:56 AM.
amagalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #17
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
I ended up going with Akebono pads front and rear. I'll install them in the next few weeks. One question. When looking at the rear pads that I got, I noticed that all of them were exactly the same. Is there not a difference between the inner an outer pads on the Boxster. I don't want to wait till I have everything taken apart to find that I have an issue.

Thanks.
Tony
No the inner and outer pads are the same.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #18

Garage
I'm just curious and don't mind the naive question, but is there anything wrong with going with any semi-metallic brake pads from Autozone or any other auto parts store? I do see that they don't offer drilled and slotted rotors.

I drive normal spirited driving, I don't AX or anything yet.