Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #1

Push button start install

Before I decided to install a push button start I searched on here for any threads that might help with the ignition wiring to figure out where to tap into. I really didn't find any threads with pics or any real help getting it figured out so I just went at it. I know it was debated on here why add another step into the starting process. For me, it was because there is a spot on my base 98 on the dash where the wiper control would go for newer models so why not add it there. I am also a person who can not do something on any of my cars I own, so why not add it to this car. I have always liked push button starts on different cars so here was my little project and it literally cost me less than 10 dollars to do. Here is a little write up to help anyone wanting to do this in the future, it will help you out on some of the guessing where to tap into.

So this is the button I went with

Universal 12V Car Engine Start Push Button Switch Ignition Starter Kit Blue LED | eBay

It comes with the relay already so no need to wire up my own. This one is a little more expensive than the one I purchased.

With this kit I had to modify the hole just a hair to get it to fit into the slot. I just used a good pair of wire cutters I had to cut the plastic away on the back side of the trim. It fits snug and does not move and it does not need the locking ring (which will not fit in the space because of the main center console bracket). I already moved the buttons for the top, lock and mirror heaters to the driver side of the console and left the cigarette lighter on the right. I didn't like having to reach across to reach those buttons so it is all based on the driver side. Easier to reach to ad makes more sense to be closer to the driver in my opinion.

So getting to the ignition wires for this push button; I switched out a new ignition switch while doing this mod since I was already going to be in the same area. I picked that up for less than 6 bucks new on amazon.

The solid Yellow wire is the 50 series wire you need to tap into for one of the blue wires. The instructions say green wires but there are two blue wires. The red and other blue wire can be twisted together and tapped into a red and white 15 series and the black can be grounded anywhere. I grounded it with the cigarette lighter with a vampire clip. I already did a HVAC and radio relocation to the bottom slots awhile ago so I have plenty of room behind the slot and cupholders I installed.

Sorry for not having pictures but it is dark in my garage at the moment. Hope this helps anyone if they want to do it in the future.

Last edited by antny; 02-28-2015 at 11:59 PM.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
Need For Speed

Garage
So you still have to stick the key in, turn it then press the button?

Wonder if there is a way to bypass the key turn and mount the push button in the key hole spot?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #3

Yes, still need to insert the key and turn. Someone did a RFID mod where it was totally keyless I believe. Not sure which member it was.

Last edited by antny; 02-28-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:40 PM   #4

Post pics if you get the chance.. Very interested to see how it turned out

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:49 PM   #5

Old 02-28-2015, 11:59 PM   #6
Living in the desert.

So you moved your switches (which are now slanted and funny looking) so that you wouldn't have to reach 6" further, but you'd rather have the start be a 2 hand, 2 step operation than just turn the key 1/8th of a turn further?

Just Wonderin'...
Old 03-01-2015, 12:10 AM   #7

I sure did. Them being slanted doesn't bother me at all, if they do end up bothering me I will source some RHD switches and put them in or move them to the other side. To be honest with you I never see them from the driver seat because thy rest behind the right side of my steering wheel. This gives my right hand something to do again while starting the car. Honestly this was so cheap and reversible within 5 minutes it was worth me installing it to cure my late night boredom.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:00 AM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by antny View Post
... This gives my right hand something to do again while starting the car. ....
Almost every time I go to start my Boxsters I still reach to the right before I realize that there is no place for a key there.

The button install looks good. I've been wondering about a remote starter install: Can you just take the transponder out of the fob and just mount it in the car? I'm going to have to play with that idea.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #9

I believe that is what you have to do. You have to sacrifice a transponder for the remote start.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by antny View Post
Do you by chance have any pictures of how you wired the switch

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_mota View Post
Do you by chance have any pictures of how you wired the switch
I do not at the moment. It is a tight enough squeeze in the driver floor board for me and I was down there enough I did not even think about taking pictures with my back hurting as bad as it was with my 4 bulged discs. I will do a better breakdown on where to tap into.

1) Remove lower AC/heating duct from its location right by the OBD II port. Easily done by pulling to the left or right and pull down.

2) Pull the ignition harness away from the ignition switch.

3) Locate solid yellow wire. If you look at the end of the harness plug this wire the (50) wire.

4) I took a razorblade and removed insulation from the copper wire from that solid yellow wire.

5) Solder the wire that the instructions states to tap the blue wire from relay to the (50) wire to the solid (50) yellow wire. I placed electrical tape over the solder.

6) Find one of the red with white stripped wires (there is two) and strip the insulation like you did for the yellow wire.

7) Take the red and blue wires from the relay (both 15's) and twist them together.

8) Solder the red and blue wire to the exposed copper on the (15) red and white wire and cover with electrical tape.

9) I then took the black ground wire from the harness and tapped that into the brown wire on my cigarette lighter for the ground.

That is the basic wiring for the push button I installed. Do not try to use the clamping splice connectors, the insulation is way to hard and thick to get a good connection off the ignition harness. That was my mistake at first to try and get away from soldering the wires. Jus go ahead and strip the insulation and solder, you will save a good amount of frustration doing it this way.