Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #341

I did. I've been at an event all weekend and will share the graphs soon. it is a slight gain not just in peak but from the middle on up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymanwatchthis View Post
Eddy,

Thanks for posting the results. Did you get a graph showing output through the rev range? I would think with the mod there is more area under the curve, ie there is more power throughout the rev range vs being 'peaky'. I think max values are interesting, however more so is how much more power you are getting across all engine speeds. This is likely why you are feeling more of a positive difference than reflected in the max hp and tq values.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
It looks really good in black and without oil stains like mine ^^

Wow, how did you get the 3/4" silicon hose to fit over the 1" AOS tube? It wasn't intended to be like that, but if it fits that's cool! It doesn't collapse at idle with the EZ-coil right?

Give it some time before getting results

Ben
what should i have done with it?
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #343

Deleted due to sideways photo. see below for photo of dyno graph

Last edited by eddy; 11-14-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #344
Ben-Auto-Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavis.d View Post
what should i have done with it?
You were supposed to cut the accordion hose and reuse the quick disconnect on the AOS, but there is not problem to do like you did

Did it take a lot of effort to get it like that??

Thanks Eddy for sharing!
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:54 PM   #345

here you go
Old 11-15-2016, 01:42 AM   #346

Red face

Quote:
You were supposed to cut the accordion hose and reuse the quick disconnect on the AOS, but there is not problem to do like you did

Did it take a lot of effort to get it like that??
Ahh

It took a bit of time but then I put in some very hot water and it went on OK I did it that way because I don't like butchering standard kit in case I have to go back to square one in which case you're kippered unless you have a spare.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #347
Ben-Auto-Design

You can sacrifice that accordion hose without worrying, it will break if you look at it too much!

I'll try what you did on one of my spare AOS to see how it goes, it might make things easier for me!
1982 928 S Euro
Old 11-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #348

Still can't get my car to drive right. Just got my maf in the mail. I was thinking of going to the stock plenum and tb to see if I can get this car running right. Just put a 2nd new plug in it and switched injector 5 over to injector 6. Still pulling P0306. Hopefully the maf is the issue.

Eddy, did you use the 997 airbox on both runs? That airbox alone should be at least 5-10 hp. Was a fan pointed to your air inlet during dyno.
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #349

First session was stock desnorkeled. second was 987 airbox + ben plenum + 74mm tb.

I did not have a fan blowing into the air inlet on either run. Good that I did the same thing twice for control, probably not ultimately best for numbers.

I'm going to start thinking about tunes and exhaust and hopefully these will start adding up. Yesterday was probably the last 70 degree day (it snowed today) in Northeast Ohio, so naturally I had the Boxster out. I swear these numbers are low, but I can't figure any reason why they'd be off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmodz View Post
Still can't get my car to drive right. Just got my maf in the mail. I was thinking of going to the stock plenum and tb to see if I can get this car running right. Just put a 2nd new plug in it and switched injector 5 over to injector 6. Still pulling P0306. Hopefully the maf is the issue.

Eddy, did you use the 997 airbox on both runs? That airbox alone should be at least 5-10 hp. Was a fan pointed to your air inlet during dyno.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #350
Ben-Auto-Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmodz View Post

The MAF would cause all cylinder to go bad.

What have you done so far to correct it?

By the way, I've tried to put the silicon hose like you did Mavis, and it went pretty well, so this is the final solution!

The plenums are officially available!

I realized that mine has been on for around 6000 miles, on trackday and two autocross events already!
1982 928 S Euro

Last edited by Ben006; 11-20-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #351

So 3 weeks after finishing fitting it’s time for my update.

Fitting
Total time to fit took around 3hrs. Personally I found the ends of the Plenum a bit too rounded and felt this made it fiddly to fit. Less rounded and more of a chamfer may work better, that’s my just my opinion, other than that the plenum is really well made and Ben had gone to the trouble of painting it matt black which looked good. I didn’t have the time to fit a 987 air box so have gone for a K&N filter for the time being.

Driving
Seat of the pants says that there is a good improvement. Starts at 3 and builds over 4 becoming much stronger that before. I have the speed warning set to Back to the Future speed and find it coming on much more often, which is nice!

I had planned to do a session at the rolling road next week but can’t make it now so will try get there before Christmas and find what the figures say.

Great work Ben keep up the good work

Cheers
David
Old 12-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #352
Ben-Auto-Design

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm glad you like it too!

What do you mean by rounded? The curve radius between the two tubes is too big and interfere with the boot? If yes, it's unfortunately one of the compromises I made for better airflow.

The wheather started to get cooler down here ("cooler" but still South Florida) and my car is responding to it very positively! Way more than the other years, which makes me think that a remap could bring the car to another level!

So, guys, as I said, they're available! A good Christmas gift to offer to your Boxster

I have to finish the update on the first page too... I whish we could change the thread's title.

PM me for any questions

Ben
1982 928 S Euro
Old 12-03-2016, 02:55 AM   #353

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm glad you like it too!

What do you mean by rounded? The curve radius between the two tubes is too big and interfere with the boot? If yes, it's unfortunately one of the compromises I made for better airflow.

Ben
Hi Ben
No I meant the end of the T where it meets the inlet manifold. I found that it slipped of quite easily and took some time to get fitted correctly with no air leaks. Could it be a bit longer or would that make it too difficult to fit? It could be just me though!

Old 12-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #354
Ben-Auto-Design

I see!
Making it longer would make it a nighmare to fit :/

I changed the rake of the chamfer for the next ones, there will be more sealing surface
1982 928 S Euro
Old 12-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #355
Ben-Auto-Design

Hi guys!

I'm proud to say that the first plenum has been sold!
(Well, the first that is not for testing)

I'll post pictures of it

Ben.
1982 928 S Euro
Old 12-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #356

Airbox upgrade to 987 or aftermarket

Mavis said:" I didn’t have the time to fit a 987 air box so have gone for a K&N filter for the time being."
Don't get the idea that removing the airbox and refitting the larger(better) 987 airbox is easy.
The stock airbox is difficult to remove because of the confined space. In theory you need to drop the engine a few inches, unbolt and move the Bank 2 inlet manifold. Even tht may not give sufficient clearance to remove it. That is why you'll fin Threads of despair describing how to cut up and break up the stock 986 airbox to remove it.
And you think that fitting the larger 987 airbox will be easier?
for example : "
On 8/27/2016 at 0:26 PM, marseille said:

it's not that hard to fit the 987 Airbox you just to remove all the unnecessary plastic from the airbox then the left hand side manifold, fuel rail remove the rear wheel to help with access in pulling the airbox down low enough to fit into the engine bay

10 minute job then😜
And more here:
987 v 986 Air box
We really need Ben to design an easy to fit one!
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #357
Ben-Auto-Design

The only reason why I still have the stock air box is because I HATE messing with this intake manifold on M96s and M97s! especially driver side. :/

Quote:
it's not that hard to fit the 987 Airbox you just to remove all the unnecessary plastic from the airbox then the left hand side manifold, fuel rail remove the rear wheel to help with access in pulling the airbox down low enough to fit into the engine bay
Sounds like Porsche's instructions ^^
"Removing engine: Disconnect plugs, drain coolant, remove bolts, remove engine"

I don't think I can really improve on the aftermarket air boxes available. Cheaper: yes, better: hardly.
1982 928 S Euro
Old 12-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #358

The geeks may find this related thread interesting even though it relates to an inferior application of the M96
IDP Plenum question - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #359

well, if we are referencing rennlist ...

here is a similar thread but with some interesting comments by mr raby himself:

Alternative to IPD Plenum - Rennlist Discussion Forums
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #360
Ben-Auto-Design

So what he says is that what I did was the right thing to do: Increasing the inside radius!

1982 928 S Euro