Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2020, 04:05 AM   #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Excellent question. I'd lie if I'd tell you that the RGB mixture can outperform let's say single color LED cool or warm whites. Probably not but we could be in for some surprise, I do not know, yet.

The PCB shipped this morning so I should have this in hands tomorrow or the following day and I'll test these color first thing for you.

For white (R.255, G.255, B.255)

For warm white (R.255, G.244, B.229)

I'll report back!

Sounds good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:41 AM   #742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboggs View Post
Sounds good!
This is the stuff they coat LED with to achieve that magical pure white (phosphor). Its mixed in with a clear epoxy and dabbed on top of the LED. I'll order some (a massive $2 lol) to test out and see what we can achieve with this process. I'll get a gram in 5 microns, just for fun. (I know I know, crazy stuff... all up for learning new tricks, that's all lol).

"The Phosphor white method produces white light in a single LED by combining a short wavelength LED such as blue or UV, and a yellow phosphor coating. The blue or UV photons generated in the LED either travels through the phosphor layer without alteration, or they are converted into yellow photons in the phosphor layer."

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-11-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #743
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Quote:
The brake feature is optional of course, just omit the extra connection.
Just curious, if you wire up the brake connection can you still just use the LED in any color?

Is it:
A. Off until you press the brake then red when you do
B. Default color until you press the brake and then red when you do

Is there a switch on the control box to the the brake mode on and off?

-Brian
bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:08 PM   #744

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg305 View Post
Just curious, if you wire up the brake connection can you still just use the LED in any color?

Is it:
A. Off until you press the brake then red when you do
B. Default color until you press the brake and then red when you do

Is there a switch on the control box to the the brake mode on and off?

-Brian
Answer is "B". It will ship like so as default

Although, we want this to be programmable so if someone wants "A" and use it as 3rd brake light either myself of the user can re-write the firmware with that specific feature enabled. I'll have a full tutorial on how to do this later on, no worries!

Regarding the option to have the brake signal input (or not) see inputs below. E.g. if you do not want the brake light to sync with the SkyBreaker just omit the Brake Signal line to the controller.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #745

Hey SkyBreaker Club!

Just an Express Update on where we stand and where we are going next. In short: I have finalized the BOM, ordered and received the parts & ICs needed to put a prototype together, measured the current and freq, and got most of the C code tested and ready. We are full mode RGB at 168Mhz! Next: Get the schematics sorted, route a PCB for the controller and modify the controller's enclosure to house the new kit (wiring, strain-relief boots, ect etc).

Following the DIY theme, here goes some visuals of how its done at my end (between coffees and cheese, obviously!):

^ RGB leds are fabulous, couldn't more be happier how this turned out. Since those are custom they fit perfectly
within the mounting heat-sink also.

^ ICs, breakout pcbs, and passive many other good stuff (not shon in this pic). All goes to show how those sort of
prototypes start-up from ground zero, to a functional product.

^ Breadboard all wired, decoupled supply if coming from the debugger so no fuss here. Just getting the ICs ready
so we can write the code for them.

^ Writing code, some nasty time consuming stuff, particularly the SPI Flash IC that we'll use to store colors in memory.

^ Sniffing SPI traffic on the scope. All about clocking and piping the right bits & bytes streams to and from those ICs.
Features of today's ICs are pretty wicked and advanced, so are their precise timing requirements :/

Long live Coffee! I'll update as soon as new development comes in!
Old 01-21-2020, 08:48 AM   #746
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Hey SkyBreaker Club!

Just an Express Update on where we stand and where we are going next. In short: I have finalized the BOM, ordered and received the parts & ICs needed to put a prototype together, measured the current and freq, and got most of the C code tested and ready. We are full mode RGB at 168Mhz! Next: Get the schematics sorted, route a PCB for the controller and modify the controller's enclosure to house the new kit (wiring, strain-relief boots, ect etc).

Following the DIY theme, here goes some visuals of how its done at my end (between coffees and cheese, obviously!):

^ RGB leds are fabulous, couldn't more be happier how this turned out. Since those are custom they fit perfectly

within the mounting heat-sink also.

^ ICs, breakout pcbs, and passive many other good stuff (not shon in this pic). All goes to show how those sort of

prototypes start-up from ground zero, to a functional product.

^ Breadboard all wired, decoupled supply if coming from the debugger so no fuss here. Just getting the ICs ready

so we can write the code for them.

^ Writing code, some nasty time consuming stuff, particularly the SPI Flash IC that we'll use to store colors in memory.

^ Sniffing SPI traffic on the scope. All about clocking and piping the right bits & bytes streams to and from those ICs.

Features of today's ICs are pretty wicked and advanced, so are their precise timing requirements :/

Long live Coffee! I'll update as soon as new development comes in!
Dooooood...... sorta blowin' my mind right now. ;-)

I LOVE what some people know how to do!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #747

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Man if only you'd see how I do my blueberry pancakes you'd be in for a serious blast, much worthy of a DIY, one day, maybe, let's see

Thanks Maytag, glad to hear you like to see those sort of diy'ers. I'll try to get those visuals and more of all that good stuff coming your way
Old 01-21-2020, 06:16 PM   #748
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Looks good Fred. I'm just casually following along waiting 'till it's time to place an order. I'll want two or three. Maybe four. I really regret buying *only* one set of the headlights.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:04 AM   #749

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Looks good Fred. I'm just casually following along waiting 'till it's time to place an order. I'll want two or three. Maybe four. I really regret buying *only* one set of the headlights.
Thanks John Ok, I'll keep/reserve at least one for you, for the moment. Just to make sure you get the kit at least Although two or more shouldn't be an issue as I might need to send out 50 to the coating at the end :/ Let's see how this all works out...
Old 01-31-2020, 07:40 PM   #750

I would be in for one
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:34 AM   #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Dooooood...... sorta blowin' my mind right now. ;-)

I'm with Maytag, it just makes my head spin to see this kind of genius. I'm just glad you use your genius for good instead of evil, Fred :P
Old 02-01-2020, 05:03 AM   #752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace River View Post
...for good instead of evil
I swear to God nothing evil comes out of Nine8Six Corporation Limited, Incorporated, Hobby, etc etc. Nowhere, nada, never-did-never-will. "Peace & Love" only man

Guys, slowly coming out from Chinese New Year at my end (and entering chaos, as it appear) so things slowed down during the last 10 days, sorry about that. Its back to work for me this coming Monday so I'll update as soon as dev come out.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #753

Garage
Quote:
I swear to God nothing evil comes out of Nine8Six Corporation Limited, Incorporated, Hobby, etc etc. Nowhere, nada, never-did-never-will. "Peace & Love" only man

Guys, slowly coming out from Chinese New Year at my end (and entering chaos, as it appear) so things slowed down during the last 10 days, sorry about that. Its back to work for me this coming Monday so I'll update as soon as dev come out.
Chaos, yes. Take care over there! I was just in HKG and supposed to go back next week but it is looking doubtful. All of our China mainland flights are canceled into March At least that is today’s plan
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:31 AM   #754

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Chaos, yes. Take care over there! I was just in HKG and supposed to go back next week but it is looking doubtful. All of our China mainland flights are canceled into March At least that is today’s plan
Thanks Captain, I'll be vigilant (hope yourself and others will too).

I was in fact denied access to the industrial park where my shop is located this morning... I haven't been there since more than a week and was rather surprised to see new entry measure in place :/ I was asked to seek authorization from the local authorities to gain access to the park and premises, which my wife already dealt with, successfully. Just goes to show though...

Sorry to hear this impacts on your commercial routes and planning. Lots of speculations as to 'what's-going-on'... from engineered virus all up to biotech/lab research gone wrong, Chinese ppl are upset, obviously, no doubts. I'm glad to see our Indian friends actively trying to map its structure so to have a better understanding ( https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.30.927871v1 )

Long live the Coffee! That'll save us all, no worries
Old 02-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #755

Garage
Yep, it’s always something! At least you were able to get in. Hopefully this virus will be figured out soon, I have no doubt that it will.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #756

Hey fellas, just a quick note to let you know that we are taking a break for a few weeks. I'm at a friend mansion (a 16x10 meter old wooden cabin to be precise) in Inner Mongolia just a few miles from the outer Mongolia border with my wife Helen and the dogs. We drove the whole thing last week and just starting to get used to how-things-works-here (like fetching wood seventeen times per day to get heating going and the cooker working :/ ).

Not going to reply to this message as I have to drive 45min on iced roads just to get a signal and access to wifi. So... back to my ice fishing later today... we've been feeding on rainbow trouts, Lays' Salt & Vinegar crisps and Coca Cola since 4 days now lol

Let you guys know when we're back in Shanghai and resuming work, should be soon as the situation seems to be leveling down now, sort of...

All the best to you all!
Old 02-10-2020, 05:54 PM   #757

That's crazy! Best of luck over there!
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #758
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Hey fellas, just a quick note to let you know that we are taking a break for a few weeks. I'm at a friend mansion (a 16x10 meter old wooden cabin to be precise) in Inner Mongolia just a few miles from the outer Mongolia border with my wife Helen and the dogs. We drove the whole thing last week and just starting to get used to how-things-works-here (like fetching wood seventeen times per day to get heating going and the cooker working :/ ).

Not going to reply to this message as I have to drive 45min on iced roads just to get a signal and access to wifi. So... back to my ice fishing later today... we've been feeding on rainbow trouts, Lays' Salt & Vinegar crisps and Coca Cola since 4 days now lol

Let you guys know when we're back in Shanghai and resuming work, should be soon as the situation seems to be leveling down now, sort of...

All the best to you all!
Hang in there!

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:28 AM   #759

Quote:

All the best to you all!
Sounds like a great idea, enjoy
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:38 AM   #760

Garage
Quote:
I swear to God nothing evil comes out of Nine8Six Corporation Limited, Incorporated, Hobby, etc etc. Nowhere, nada, never-did-never-will.
Didn't you spend some time in jail a few years ago?