986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   Normal Oil change or switch to spin on filter (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/53758-normal-oil-change-switch-spin-filter.html)

amagalla 08-20-2014 12:43 PM

Normal Oil change or switch to spin on filter

Hello all,

I'm about to do my first oil change. I'm debating whether to buy the Oil filter tool, or to buy the LN spin on filter. Any suggestions?

Tony

JFP in PA 08-20-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagalla (Post 415330)
Hello all,

I'm about to do my first oil change. I'm debating whether to buy the Oil filter tool, or to buy the LN spin on filter. Any suggestions?

Tony

If you do a search and read the reasons why, you will go with the spin on filter.

BoxsterSteve 08-20-2014 01:05 PM

Tony,
I just switched to a spin-on filter using the LN adapter, although it wasn't oil change time. I just pulled the plastic housing and paper filter, installed the adapter and used the oil in the housing to fill the new filter before spinning it on.
Given the finer filtration and the deletion of the bypass mechanism, it really was a no-brainer.

steved0x 08-20-2014 02:56 PM

I've got the spin on adapter as well. But I did a few oil changes before I added it. The filter wrench for the OEM was only a few $$$ and it fits a couple of the other cars I do. It was this one:

Amazon.com: Lisle 61570 76mm 14-Flute End Cap Wrench Set: Automotive

I think a few local places had this size as well for even less. I wouldn't do the OEM filter housing by hand as it is tough to get on. With the spin on adapter I do it by hand.

BruceH 08-21-2014 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 415333)
Given the finer filtration and the deletion of the bypass mechanism, it really was a no-brainer.

My adapter and filter are waiting in the garage for a cooler day and some spare time.

BoxsterSteve 08-21-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceH (Post 415396)
My adapter and filter are waiting in the garage for a cooler day and some spare time.

Bruce,
It'll take you all of 15 minutes, including opening the beer...
FYI, you will need a 26mm socket to torque it down. The adapter, not the beer.

BruceH 08-21-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 415447)
Bruce,
It'll take you all of 15 minutes, including opening the beer...
FYI, you will need a 26mm socket to torque it down. The adapter, not the beer.

I know, I have to go get the socket still and I literally don't have 15 minutes of free time. I am in the middle of ground school for flying a different airplane. I'll get to it soon.

Parrot356 08-21-2014 02:31 PM

What model number if the spin on adapter from LN? I done some searching in the past and can't find what I think is the correct one for my 2001 S.

BoxsterSteve 08-21-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot356 (Post 415450)
What model number if the spin on adapter from LN? I done some searching in the past and can't find what I think is the correct one for my 2001 S.

I'm pretty sure it's 106-01 for just the M96 adapter.
Or you could buy the oil change bundle...
Oil Change Bundle for MY 1997 - 2008 Boxster/Cayman/911 - Featured - Products LN Engineering
If it's not listed at the LN site, it's not currently in stock.

Dlirium 08-21-2014 03:42 PM

Yeah, do the switch. Better filters and choices with spin on. Use a nice K&N, do NOT use a Fram filter.

TeamOxford 08-21-2014 03:57 PM

I've been using the WIX 51042. Good quality, readily available, reasonable price, plus they've been making them forever (and branding them for other companies, too. ;))

Manufacturing Today - WIX Filters

This is not a commercial, and as always......I'm just sayin'...........

TO

steved0x 08-21-2014 04:17 PM

The Wix is what I have been using as well.

Pdwight 08-21-2014 10:31 PM

Check the Specs

NAPA Gold filter is the best I have found

TeamOxford 08-22-2014 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 415505)
NAPA Gold filter is the best I have found

The Napa Gold is made by WIX. 51042.

TO

Philo beddo 08-22-2014 02:54 AM

Be careful working under the car guys!!! On Monday August 18 2014 I was gruesomely awakened to how fragile life is after seeing my neighbors 23 year old son crushed to death under the mustang he so dearly loved. Jack stands were used so not clear yet what caused this .

Philo beddo 08-22-2014 02:59 AM

Still wrestling with doing my own oil changes but this accident has put a lot into perspective

Beer 08-22-2014 04:53 AM

The jackstands with the teeth and lever are prone to breakage. I was under my 914, very light car, and heard a clunk as one tooth broke off and one corner dropped an inch. I went to Northern Tools and picked up 4 of the post and pin type stands.

Just picked up a scissor lift.

BruceH 08-22-2014 05:01 AM

I keep the floor jack positioned in the middle to take some of the load just in case. Wood blocks might also be a good back up plan.

Chuck W. 08-22-2014 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 415333)
Tony,
I just switched to a spin-on filter using the LN adapter, although it wasn't oil change time. I just pulled the plastic housing and paper filter, installed the adapter and used the oil in the housing to fill the new filter before spinning it on.

Just did the exact same thing last week. I searched a ton on this site and the web. The people in the know had all the right answers and advise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 415447)
Bruce,
FYI, you will need a 26mm socket to torque it down.

This was actually a stumbling block. I have a ton of sockets but I didn't have a 26mm one. Nor did any of the stores around me carry them. I bought one online for $4.50 delivered so it just delayed me a tad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philo beddo (Post 415510)
Be careful working under the car guys!!! On Monday August 18 2014 I was gruesomely awakened to how fragile life is after seeing my neighbors 23 year old son crushed to death under the mustang he so dearly loved. Jack stands were used so not clear yet what caused this .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer (Post 415523)
The jackstands with the teeth and lever are prone to breakage.

Sad stuff. I try to learn from others mistakes. I will take this one to heart. I have never heard of teeth one the extensions failing but it makes sense that they could. Thanks you for posting this.

Pdwight 08-22-2014 08:01 AM

I always use two jack stands and my huge floor jack on the side I am working on, I pump up the jack handle until I see it making a slight change in the way the jack stand's look...that way if the stand failed the jack will catch it.....if it falls it will have to be the side I am not working on. Dont be afraid of doing an oil change. One thing I did and it may look kinda juvenile but when dong an oil change I drive the car until it is up to temp and then back the car on my ramps, that muffler is hot as a $5 pistol. I take a box fan and sit it by the muffler and run for 5 minutes and the muffler is cool to the touch..then dive under and let the oil out. If it your first change make sure you have a large enough pan, my first attempt was with one of those that captures the oil and the bottom and it could not handle the flow rate that was coming out of the oil pan....made a mess.