Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 210
Garage
center wheel caps

when I bought my car the center wheel caps were in bad shape. faded,cracked and peeling. bought some cheap ones on ebay ($24 for set of 4). looked good, but after only 6 months. they are faded as well.
has anyone had similar issues with these caps? do the Porsche brand fade quickly as well?
I bought another set of ebay ones and hit them with coat of clear. we will see how that does.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Posts: 466
Don't use harsh wheel cleaning products, or remove the caps before you use the wheel cleaner.
__________________
"Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line."
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Tucker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 274
Garage
Mine have lasted a long time with no sign of fading. I wash my wheels with soap only.
__________________
Current: 981 Cayman
Former: '02 BS and '08 C
Tucker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 242
which ones on ebay did you get?
The ones I see all look to be the style for later cars. What year is your car?
Were they the correct size and fit snugly?
Could you post a picture of them on your car?

thanks
__________________
Tommy
2000 Boxster S
1973 914
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 210
Garage
cheap Chinese knock-offs

I ordered a new set from a US seller, when I got them I noticed that the stamped numbers on the back were identical to the original set. the set that faded, even though the part number was the same, looked different. guessing they were just cheap knockoffs. also, just for added protection, I hit the new set with a clear coat of High solids Urethane.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #6
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 242
do you have a link to the ones you just bought?
__________________
Tommy
2000 Boxster S
1973 914
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 210
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy986 View Post
do you have a link to the ones you just bought?
Porsche Tequipment Concave Wheel Center Caps Panamera Cayenne Cayman Boxster 911 | eBay
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 25
I ordered these from Amazon. They matched the color of the wheels perfectly and fit snug. They are the newer style of center cap and look exactly the same as the caps on my Cayenne S in terms of crest colors and design. I like the look better than the original caps with the smaller crest and ring around the edge. For $28, I figured it was a cheap gamble but I'm very happy with them. I've had them on the car for a month and they still look perfect. We'll see how they hold up, but like others, I only use soap and water to clean the wheels.

Amazon.com: 4x Porsche Silver Wheel Center Cap Boxster Cayenne 911 993 996 997 HUB Racing: Automotive
pussywillow1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
Registered User
 
boxster6354's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kingwood, TX
Posts: 445
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyakubuke View Post
I ordered a new set from a US seller, when I got them I noticed that the stamped numbers on the back were identical to the original set. the set that faded, even though the part number was the same, looked different. guessing they were just cheap knockoffs. also, just for added protection, I hit the new set with a clear coat of High solids Urethane.

I did the same, got a can of UV clear coat spray and no fade.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Pdwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 2,075
Caliper Decals

My S Calipers are dull and faded, all the clear coat is gone. I was thinking about spraying them red with Caliper paint (after surface prep of course). I Was curious if you used the eBay decals or what ?

Also do you apply the decals and then a few coats of clear coat ?? I cant see a caliper decal lasting long in that environment.

I have some wheel clear coat...or is there a high temp type for calipers ??

Thanks in advance

Dwight

PS I did not mean to double post this

Last edited by Pdwight; 08-04-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 210
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
My S Calipers are dull and faded, all the clear coat is gone. I was thinking about spraying them red with Caliper paint (after surface prep of course). I Was curious if you used the eBay decals or what ?

Also do you apply the decals and then a few coats of clear coat ?? I cant see a caliper decal lasting long in that environment.

I have some wheel clear coat...or is there a high temp type for calipers ??

Thanks in advance

Dwight

PS I did not mean to double post this
I would clear coat over the decals and use a high temp clear. RUST-OLEUM makes a clear engine enamel that would probably work well.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #12
Gone
 
Davev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NV
Posts: 249
Garage
My idea is to take off the originals and keep them safely tucked away and use the cheap ones from Amazon.

Do like the Ferrari owners- save the good stuff for the next owner!
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Box4two's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Whitby ontario
Posts: 126
Garage
I'm curious regarding the sizes on these caps, are they somewhat universal?
They seem to have 2 or 3 different sizes. Anyone have issues with the actual fit for your particular wheel?
__________________
Previous 2 seaters:
1975 Triumph TR7
1979 Fiat X19
1977 Lotus Esprit
Honey it's an investment!
Box4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 210
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box4two View Post
I'm curious regarding the sizes on these caps, are they somewhat universal?
They seem to have 2 or 3 different sizes. Anyone have issues with the actual fit for your particular wheel?
I don't think they are universal, mine have a 986 part number, but the posting for them listed boxster, 911 and Cayenne with a pretty wide year range for all.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:38 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Guvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Wales UK
Posts: 139
This is the way I fixed the problem of fading centre caps.
Firstly scrape off the maroon colour and re paint it colour coordinated to your Boxster and lacquer to seal.




Jobs a good-un.
Guvs.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 154
I bought a set off eBay (came with 4 valve stem caps) for the wife's Boxster as a Xmas present. I'm curious, when spraying with clearcoat, should I mask off and spray just the emblem, or coat the whole cap? And should it be gloss or satin?
__________________
Defectfully
Patrick
Hogosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 210
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogosha View Post
I bought a set off eBay (came with 4 valve stem caps) for the wife's Boxster as a Xmas present. I'm curious, when spraying with clearcoat, should I mask off and spray just the emblem, or coat the whole cap? And should it be gloss or satin?
I would spray the entire cap using a finish that is close to your wheels. ie. is the wheels are gloss, go gloss etc..
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyakubuke View Post
I would spray the entire cap using a finish that is close to your wheels. ie. is the wheels are gloss, go gloss etc..
Thanks! Gloss it is then. I am having all 4 wheels refinished in the spring, so my be I will have them shoot the clear on them at the same time as the wheels.
__________________
Defectfully
Patrick
Hogosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page