Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #1

Garage
Installing rear view camera

Just received my rear view camera and want to try to connect it this weekend. Has anyone ever added an aftermarket rear view camera. I want to have the camera itself connected to a constant power source and run a connection from a 12v source activated by putting it in reverse to the head unit. On my Pathfinder I ran a wire all the way from the reverse lamp in the rear, but would like to avoid doing this now. anyone know where I can tie into the switch on the gear shift (6 speed)? also, any good connections in the boot (near the tags) to tie into a constant 12v? i.e.. power whenever the ignition is on?

kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #2

Why would you wantconstant to it? 15 (ignition power) should work just fine. Constant would only drain, unless it has a activation cable like a amplifier?
And if you'd like power cables, the entire boot is full of them.

HolmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolmaN View Post
Why would you wantconstant to it? 15 (ignition power) should work just fine. Constant would only drain, unless it has a activation cable like a amplifier?
And if you'd like power cables, the entire boot is full of them.

right, that is what I meant by constant rather that only when the car is in reverse. the instructions with the camera says to connect the power to the reverse lamps, thus powering the camera only when the car is in reverse. However, the camera would take a few seconds to power up, don't want that delay. Also, my head unit has the option to manually activate the camera. on my truck I use this function when I am hauling a trailer to keep an eye on the load. doubt I would ever need it in the Boxster, but it's there, so I would like to have it .

thanks for the pic. easy to see, looking at that, which side it the correct path to run the wires.

kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote