Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #1

Anyone replaced their own soft top?

I have a 2000 Boxster 2.7 and the rear window is starting to crack in two small places (1/4" long in both cases). My top is fine otherwise. I'm told $575-800 to have a shop sew in a new window...1100 for a whole new top. That's too much $ for me when I consider I can buy a new top for about $400 and install it myself. I understand it's about a 16 hour job - has anyone successfully done this?

Thanks,
Mark.

markmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #2

Garage
I have not done it on a Boxster, but I have on other cars. wasn't that difficult. Last time I put one on I was not able to get it super tight, but after a few hours in the sun it was perfect.

I just bought a 01 Boxster S and part of the deal was that the dealers has to replace the rear window. not cracked, just cloudy. after hearing those prices, glad I did now.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #3

I'm in the middle of the project right now. I pulled the top off my 2000S about 3 weeks ago and am waiting to get the chance to put the new top on.

It wasn't too dificult taking the old top off. There are lots of great instructions available. I figure it will take me 4-6 hours to put the new top on, given I haven't done it before.

I did do my wife's 350Z roadster last fall. It was about the same effort although used more double sided tape, screws and rivets. I am very please with the results, hence my going forward with the Boxster.

I'll keep you posted after I get going again.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the input! Please do keep me posted. I don't have to start this for a while, but when I do, I've got to get it done in one weekend if possible.

Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
I'm in the middle of the project right now. I pulled the top off my 2000S about 3 weeks ago and am waiting to get the chance to put the new top on.

It wasn't too dificult taking the old top off. There are lots of great instructions available. I figure it will take me 4-6 hours to put the new top on, given I haven't done it before.

I did do my wife's 350Z roadster last fall. It was about the same effort although used more double sided tape, screws and rivets. I am very please with the results, hence my going forward with the Boxster.

I'll keep you posted after I get going again.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #5

Garage
See this:

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Convertible New Top - 986 / 987
Old 03-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #6

I have done it...went from plastic to glass window. Took me a weekend to do it working casually. You will probably need an extra hand in places to get it tight. The glass rear window, despite limiting access to the engine, is so much nicer looking than the plastic window top. Make sure you purchase the necessary parts that tend to break when replacing the top (plastic rivets, updated parts, etc.) beforehand.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
I have done it...went from plastic to glass window. Took me a weekend to do it working casually. You will probably need an extra hand in places to get it tight. The glass rear window, despite limiting access to the engine, is so much nicer looking than the plastic window top. Make sure you purchase the necessary parts that tend to break when replacing the top (plastic rivets, updated parts, etc.) beforehand.
I want to go to glass when it's time to replace the soft top.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #8

So you were able to get it tight and it looks nice?

Mind if I ask what your top cost and where you bought it? I've been looking around - seems like Ebay has them for ~$400...at Suncoast and Pelican they're $2000+! I don't understand the difference...quality??

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post