Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #1

Garage
ABS/PSM Warning Lights---FIXED!!!

Hey I get to actually post something semi useful to the site. Win.

I've had a on-going ABS/PSM warning light issue. There are numerous possible symptoms....but a common fix is the switch on the brake pedal.

I *didn't* think this was my issue because it seemed centered around temperature and I thought my brake lights were working fine. (A symptom of the switch going sideways...brake lights either don't work at all or just momentarily). Well....I was wrong. It was the switch.

*But*....what I can add to the forum is folks are buying an entirely new switch to replace. There is no need for this. I disassembled my switch entirely....which took all of about 5 seconds. Cleaned it with some alcohol (rubbing not drinking). And it's working like a charm now. There was quite a bit of thick grease/residue on the contacts inside that were preventing the switch from working. The switch is incredibly simple. Aside from actual breakage....there should be no reason to spend $$$ on a new switch.

I am certain that the reason the my ABS/PSM lights would come on when the car was cold vs not when the car was warm, was the fact it was just warm enough to soften up that grime that the contacts were actually making contact.

Small victories. Woot.

So....now to fix the airbag light. :-) OYE!!!

Old 03-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #2

Hey this is a great fix, excellent job. It really feels good to know you saved yourself some dough by doing-it-yourself.