Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #1

Garage
Rear Deck Storage Compartment Speakers

I've decided to overhaul my entire sound system (it was all stock except for the head unit) and here is the first part I've completed. Much like everyone else, I didn't like the speakers that were installed in the rear storage compartment, nor did I like that they fired into the back of the seats. I decided to mount four 3.5" Rockford Fosgate Punch Coaxial speakers in the center section and forego the storage that I never use. Here are some pictures of the process:

Before, with the slider doors still installed:

Flip it over and remove the speakers (if equipped) and all other torx screws that you can see.

Next, along the bottom edge of where the slider doors are is some double sided tape. Take a plastic wedge and separate the two before proceeding (note the two additional holes in the upper left that are use to mount the speaker assembly):

You should now be able to pull the inner core out and remove the doors:

I made a speaker holder out of 1/16" aluminum that I had left over from a previous project. I have a CNC router at home and access to a shear, box brake, and paint booth at work, so it was easy to fab:

Next I cut to size, painted and hand bent a piece of perforated aluminium that was also from the scrap pile. I wanted it to have a spring fit so that it wouldn't rattle around:

Here it is in place on the core:

Mount the speakers in the holder (note the mounting holes in the base and the hard drive power type connector I used as a disconnect):

Another view:

Done:

Benjamin

Old 02-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Nice work!
How is the unit mounted in the box? How do those speakers sound?
Old 02-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #3

Garage
I haven't tried the speakers out in this setup yet. I have only completed the dash speakers as well as these. I still have to do the door speakers, build and install the subwoofer enclosure, mount the amp in the front trunk, mount the new head unit, and connect everything together. I plan on documenting at least the sub box and amp mount. I think the door speakers have been done enough.

It mounts with 4 screws, nuts, and lock washers:

Old 02-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #4

looks great! replaced mine with a custom made box on that same deck with 2 x 6" kicker subbies, pointing straight up to the sky. Didnt want them facing me. Cant wait to hear feedback on how they sound on your project! Cheers
Old 02-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismmm View Post
looks great! replaced mine with a custom made box on that same deck with 2 x 6" kicker subbies, pointing straight up to the sky. Didnt want them facing me. Cant wait to hear feedback on how they sound on your project! Cheers
I thought about dual 6" subs in that location, but they wouldn't have fit in the storage box and even if they did, it would have taken a lot of effort to seal it properly. The other option was to make a custom enclosure, but in the end I would have still had to make them fire up or down and I want the sound directed towards the cockpit, and not the outside. Also, it's been my (somewhat limited) experience that a 6 inch sub can't reproduce the lower frequencies as a 10 inch. The larger the diameter, the better they are at "going low".

I am going to go with a 10" Rockford Fosgate Punch sub in the passenger footwell and MB Quart Pro 6.5" component speakers in the doors. I might mount the tweeters on the A pillars or the "sun visor bar", but I will have to scope that out when I get there. The MB Quart 5 channel amp will be mounted in the bottom of the front trunk and I will make a surround for it so the top sits flush. It should be a pretty tight system by the time it's done.