View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
Benjamin

Garage
Rear Deck Storage Compartment Speakers

I've decided to overhaul my entire sound system (it was all stock except for the head unit) and here is the first part I've completed. Much like everyone else, I didn't like the speakers that were installed in the rear storage compartment, nor did I like that they fired into the back of the seats. I decided to mount four 3.5" Rockford Fosgate Punch Coaxial speakers in the center section and forego the storage that I never use. Here are some pictures of the process:

Before, with the slider doors still installed:

Flip it over and remove the speakers (if equipped) and all other torx screws that you can see.

Next, along the bottom edge of where the slider doors are is some double sided tape. Take a plastic wedge and separate the two before proceeding (note the two additional holes in the upper left that are use to mount the speaker assembly):

You should now be able to pull the inner core out and remove the doors:

I made a speaker holder out of 1/16" aluminum that I had left over from a previous project. I have a CNC router at home and access to a shear, box brake, and paint booth at work, so it was easy to fab:

Next I cut to size, painted and hand bent a piece of perforated aluminium that was also from the scrap pile. I wanted it to have a spring fit so that it wouldn't rattle around:

Here it is in place on the core:

Mount the speakers in the holder (note the mounting holes in the base and the hard drive power type connector I used as a disconnect):

Another view:

Done:

Benjamin