Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #1

Garage
Possible DIY Idea; automatic windows with door locks. Need help.

Hello All,

I had an idea that I'm hoping the community can help me with. I had a feature on my old car where when I armed the alarm, it would automatically roll up the windows. I was sitting in the Boxster today with the top and windows down. I pushed the micro switch where the top latches, and up went the windows. That got me thinking... If there was a signal that comes from the alarm that I could tap into, I could use it to trigger a relay that would start the auto-up feature on the windows. What do you guys think? Feasible? What would I tap into?

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Old 01-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #2

Garage
Bump? any ideas?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:01 AM   #3

Seems like a lot of work for little gain in convenience.

One click of the window up button while the car is still on will get it to roll all the way up already.

Also if you were to use the key a double click to lock rolls all the windows up.

Let us know how you make out if you give it a go.

There have not been many electronic interfaces here besides the stereo systems that I have seen.

I will be trying to interface the Alarm LED myself for "Dragon eyes" triggering in my retrofit projector headlights soon.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #4

Garage
I actually had no idea that a double click of the alarm would roll up the windows. That will solve my problem. Thanks for the info.
Tony
Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Seems like a lot of work for little gain in convenience.

One click of the window up button while the car is still on will get it to roll all the way up already.

Also if you were to use the key a double click to lock rolls all the windows up.

Let us know how you make out if you give it a go.

There have not been many electronic interfaces here besides the stereo systems that I have seen.

I will be trying to interface the Alarm LED myself for "Dragon eyes" triggering in my retrofit projector headlights soon.
Wow I had no idea that a double click with FOB rolled up the windows.

Also, regarding auto-locking doors, I have always hated those things. Under certain circumstances you can get locked out of your car. At least on Toyotas and some Nissans, maybe just Japanese mobiles however have that problem
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #6

Garage
I'm not looking for auto locking doors. I'm looking for the widows to auto roll up when the alarm is armed. I tested the double click feature and the widows did not rollup. So I'm back to where I started. Any ideas?

Tony
Old 01-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
I'm not looking for auto locking doors. I'm looking for the widows to auto roll up when the alarm is armed. I tested the double click feature and the widows did not rollup. So I'm back to where I started. Any ideas?

Tony
It's not really a double click of the alarm. Put the key in the door and turn it all the way, left or right and hold it and the windows will go up or down.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
It's not really a double click of the alarm. Put the key in the door and turn it all the way, left or right and hold it and the windows will go up or down.
good to know except i don't think i've ever used key in door
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:31 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
If I can trigger that feature when the alarm is armed from the remote, that would be awesome.

I know we've all done it... We drive around with our windows down, park the car, get out and arm the car as we walk away. But, oops, we forgot to roll the windows up. Now we have to get back in the car, put the key in the ignition, turn the accessories on..all just to roll up the windows. It would be nice if the windows auto up feature worked with the remote arming.

Tony