Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #1

Relocate Temp Control - 2000 Boxster

I am trying to move the temp control to the bottom slot so I can put the cup holders in the tops slot. I have read all the online instructions which say re-route the cable to the bottom. I looked and looked but can't find a path. Has anyone done this and you you tell me how the #%@^%# you get the cable down to the bottom? Does the whole console have to come out or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #2

I have not done this, but I would take the console out and all the side panels.....30 minutes work. The better you can see the better job you will do
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:43 AM   #3
still plays with cars...

Garage
My car had this done before I bought it, by the selling Porsche dealer no less.
There was an invoice for 3 hours labour, so I'd bet the dash was gutted make it easier to re-route wiring.
I quizzed the original owner about it, but he couldn't tell me anything other than he dropped the car off and picked it up when it was done.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #4

I pulled the side panels but could not find a path that the cable could go in. i am hoping someone who has done this before can shed some light. I would rather not have to pull out the who upper console unless there is no other way,
Old 07-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Try posting this question in the "General Discussions" forum (where it belongs). General Discussions - 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster Owners and Others

You'll get more responses and you won't clutter up the DIY section.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #6

I recommend that you rethink the idea of moving the HVAC controls down to install the cupholders. Many owners, including me, have done exactly the opposite. The stock cupholders are crap, and only end up dumping coffee etc onto the HVAC controls, among other things. (I'm not aware of any aftermarket units that will fit into the console.) I suggest you leave things as they are and get an Ultimate cupholder instead.

If you insist on it anyways, remove everything top and bottom - all four spaces - and the four side panels. There are DIYs for the radio and everything else essentially just pulls out. The console does not have to come out.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #7

Check post #13 on this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51283-does-anyone-know-vss-wire-02-bose.html

I had to relocate my HVAC controls as part of my navigation unit install and found that removing one of the ducts made it a lot easier.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #8

Thanks Kevin, thats exactly what I needed.