Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #1

Short Shifter drags cable

I just purchased one of they ebay short shifters ($49) for the boxster. Everything installed really well, however, the black spring that attaches to the right cable end now drags against the base of the center console area. When installed with the stock shifter, the cable and spring somewhat floated in the air but the short shifter has a longer base and is causing hang ups. When shifting from 3rd to 4th the spring gets caught, compresses, and unhooks the cable end.

What is the fix for this? Here is the area I'm talking about:

cartisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #2

Garage
Remove the green plastic peice.
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
Remove the green plastic peice.
What?! You're kidding me...
Old 07-02-2013, 03:48 AM   #4

Garage
Read the instructions.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Read the instructions.
My last post was me expressing how simple the most difficult problems can be solved. No need to be an ass about it. If it was in the instructions I would have just done it
Old 07-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #6

Easy there Cart... HE is not being an ass.

In the instructions for legitimate SSK's and most of the DIY write ups here and on other forums (using the search feature), each references performing the equivalent of an appendectomy on the shifter tower... i.e. removing the green plate (which is only present on 986 models... not 996 or any 9x7). Do it and your issue will be solved.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Easy there Cart... HE is not being an ass.

In the instructions for legitimate SSK's and most of the DIY write ups here and on other forums (using the search feature), each references performing the equivalent of an appendectomy on the shifter tower... i.e. removing the green plate (which is only present on 986 models... not 996 or any 9x7). Do it and your issue will be solved.

Thanks, I was following the instructions from Pelican and didn't see any mention of it. Thought about ripping it out but figured it was there to assist in not getting caught on the carpet but it makes sense that removing it would help.

I will try round 2 tonight when I have a moment.

Thanks again!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #8

Garage
Cart,
Sorry you took my post wrong. If you search for B&M instructions they are the most complete. One thing I did also is I put washers under the base to raise it off the carpet. Still fits under the console great.
Van914
Old 07-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Cart,
Sorry you took my post wrong. If you search for B&M instructions they are the most complete. One thing I did also is I put washers under the base to raise it off the carpet. Still fits under the console great.
Van914
No worries, removing the part makes sense it just seems that when it comes to car parts, if I don't know what they do....they probably do something very important and I shouldn't take them out!

I also like the idea of washer. I'll give it a go tonight with just removing the green plastic but may opt to add washers as well so I feel more comfortable with the clearance.

Thanks for the help everyone
Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #10

Garage
I remember I removed the green plastic piece when I did mine. That is probably the issue.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #11

Just wanted to provide an update:

All I did was remove the green piece in the first image. I had plenty of clearance after that and did not need to put washers under the bolts to lift the entire unit. The shifts are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better. Seriously, if you haven't done this to your boxster yet, stop reading this and do it now.

I was worried my wife wasn't going to like the short shifts but the effort did not increase at all. The shifts are much more defined now and feels great all around. Now she wants me to show her some of the fun stuff you can do in a manual.

$60 on ebay after shipping. Arrived in just a few days and with minor frustrations, this isn't a hard job at all. Do it!