Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Cool DIY 6.5 Inch Door Speakers Using OEM Baffles

This is part of my 1998 Boxster Project: 1998 Boxster Project - Complete Restoration

I've installed a new stereo system into my Boxster, including new 6.5" Polk Audio Speakers for the doors. They're mid-range speakers. I will go over the entire install in another post. In this one, I just want to show how I was able to use the stock OEM Baffles with larger speakers.

When I search for how to install larger door speakers, all I found was a DIY for replacing the OEM baffle with a cutout of MDF.

Here if what I found:

I wanted to use the OEM baffles instead, so here is what I did.

First I removed the speakers from the baffle.

Using a Dremel with a cutting wheel, I removed the face and the top and bottom sides surrounding the speaker opening. I cut along the seam of the baffle. I left the edge where the speaker wire attach intack so that the MDF would be sandwiched in between.

I then cutout squares of cardboard to create a template for the MDF I would cutout.

Once I had the template, I cutout squares of 1/2" MDF that I would secure to the baffles. I secured the MDF to the baffles with JB Weld. Once it was hardened I sealed the any openings where the MDF butt against the plastic with silicone. I later realize there really wasn't a need to seal the openings, as I ended up drilling holes in the back of the baffle to allow air to pass in and out of it.

Once I stalled the modified baffles in the doors, I saw I had to trim a bit of the MDF away so the door panel would fit properly. Notice the holes I drilled in the back of the baffle to allow air to pass in and out.

And here is the final step. I installed my new Polk Audio 6.5" Mid Range speakers. The entire system sounds amazing.

I will post the Amp, Head Unit, Dash Speakers and Rear Speakers I used as well. Just wanted to show how to get larger speakers in the doors without losing the baffles.

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #2

Garage
looks nice will be doing my 2004 same way thanks for the great info,keep us posted
the1andonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #3

very useful info thanks.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

Garage
Oh man I did 6.5s with the MDF cutout last year after I got stiffed on some custom baffles. I really like this idea, I wonder if mine would sound any better done this way...
Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieniber View Post
Oh man I did 6.5s with the MDF cutout last year after I got stiffed on some custom baffles. I really like this idea, I wonder if mine would sound any better done this way...
I think you would get better sound as a mid & low range speaker seems to always sound better when you have it in an enclosure. But be sure to drill the holes in the baffle to allow air to pass in and out.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #6
1998 Boxster

I really like the use of the original enclosure. I have never used jb weld. Does it create a good bond?

You mentioned that you installed mid range co-ax speakers. I have heard that by design, the door speakers are to provide lower, bass like sound, and that the amp only sends lower frequency signals to the door speakers.

If true, I wonder how the mid range coax speakers work out, and, is the tweeter essentially unused?
rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah rah 986 View Post
I really like the use of the original enclosure. I have never used jb weld. Does it create a good bond?

You mentioned that you installed mid range co-ax speakers. I have heard that by design, the door speakers are to provide lower, bass like sound, and that the amp only sends lower frequency signals to the door speakers.

If true, I wonder how the mid range coax speakers work out, and, is the tweeter essentially unused?
Aftermarket stereo
Not sure if the stock stereo is set up like you said, but it wasn't much good anyway.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:

The stock amp is setup to only use "sub-woofer" or base frequencies for the door speakers. And the mid-range speakers sounded HORRIBLE with the stock amp. But once I tore that sucker out and put in the new amp, all that changed and they sound amazing!

Old 05-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:

Oh, and JB Weld creates a very strong bond. However, I would not recommend using it to fix your engine parts (as I've seen on the web ). But for plastic and wood bonding, great stuff.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
adc

Wish I'd seen this post a few days ago...

I've just installed Kicker KS60 into the stock OEM door baffles. This is apparently a 6" speaker, not the customary 6.5" size. I was able to simply screw it into the stock hole locations. It didn't fit into the recessed space so it sticks out more then the OEM speaker, but the door panel fit just fine on top of it.

I'm changing the head unit tomorrow, can't wait to see your amp recommendation as I didn't have anything planned for that.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Ok, ADC, I will post some more info on the rest of the system now.

Here is the Amp installed.

This is the Sub Woofer I installed behind my seat.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:28 AM   #12
1998 Boxster

I just purchased new 6.5" door speakers. (Not coax). My intention is to replace them using the stock amp. After reading this thread, I think I may be making a mistake. As the existing door speakers sound absolutely terrible, I suspect these may not be much of an improvement if the real problem is the factory amp. I suspect a new amp may have been the first thing to replace and then the speakers. I will find out soon enough. Hope to have my new woofers installed this weekend.
rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #13
adc

Wow, that's a nice sub. I appreciate you posting all this info, and don't mean to be a pest, but I have a few more questions if you don't mind...

Does it actually fit flat under the seat, or did you install it at an angle against the bulkhead?

Did you have to remove the seat?

Can you share some info about the wiring? I'm wondering where you grounded the sub to...

And the $$ question - where did you source the amp from?

Last edited by adc; 05-15-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Wow, that's a nice sub. I appreciate you posting all this info, and don't mean to be a pest, but I have a few more questions if you don't mind...

Does it actually fit flat under the seat, or did you install it at an angle against the bulkhead?

Did you have to remove the seat?

Can you share some info about the wiring? I'm wondering where you grounded the sub to...

And the $$ question - where did you source the amp from?
No problem. I was hoping it would fit under the seat, but it did not. To it just rests behind the seat like in the picture. Its easy to take out when I need to too. Only had to remove the seat to run the wires. But the seat was already out for another project. The sub is grounded under the seat where other other items are already grounded.

The Blaupunk amp was from a Canadian supplier $250 and the Sub was from a UK supplier $300.

Last edited by drbodzin; 05-15-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbodzin View Post
No problem. I was hoping it would fit under the seat, but it did not. To it just rests behind the seat like in the picture. Its easy to take out when I need to too. Only had to remove the seat to run the wires. But the seat was already out for another project. The sub is grounded under the seat where other other items are already grounded.

The Blaupunk amp was from a Canadian supplier $250 and the Sub was from a UK supplier $300.

Nice project. When will you be posting the write-up to your install?

Was it a PITA to remove the door covers to get to the baffle...?
OHBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #16
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBoxsterS View Post
Nice project. When will you be posting the write-up to your install?

Was it a PITA to remove the door covers to get to the baffle...?
I hadn't planned a write-up at this time. But if you tell me what you need, I will do my best to answer.

The door panels are pretty easy to remove. Pretty sure if you search the forum, someone posted instructions.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #17

Where did you buy your inPhase woofer from?
Rmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #18
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmon View Post
Where did you buy your inPhase woofer from?
Go to ebay.co.uk and search "in phase power subwoofer"

I'm probably going to buy a second one to put behind the passenger seat. I love this product!

Old 06-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Wish I'd seen this post a few days ago...

I've just installed Kicker KS60 into the stock OEM door baffles. This is apparently a 6" speaker, not the customary 6.5" size. I was able to simply screw it into the stock hole locations. It didn't fit into the recessed space so it sticks out more then the OEM speaker, but the door panel fit just fine on top of it.

I'm changing the head unit tomorrow, can't wait to see your amp recommendation as I didn't have anything planned for that.
Interesting! Do the stock door grills still fit? How do they sound? Thanks
Miata2Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #20
adc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miata2Boxster View Post
Interesting! Do the stock door grills still fit? How do they sound? Thanks
They sound much clearer and cleaner than the stock ones, particularly midrange. Bass is less muddy, but not necessarily significantly stronger. I think the speaker size limits the amount of bass it can produce.

Anyway, my car is now sold. Unfortunately I sold it before I managed to install the last addition, a Clarion 8" powered subwoofer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B43LKEM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tought it might fit behind the passenger seat, if not under the seat. I guess I'll never know now - and I can't even return it now anymore...

Tags
baffles , door speakers , oem