View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
drbodzin
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Cool DIY 6.5 Inch Door Speakers Using OEM Baffles

This is part of my 1998 Boxster Project: 1998 Boxster Project - Complete Restoration

I've installed a new stereo system into my Boxster, including new 6.5" Polk Audio Speakers for the doors. They're mid-range speakers. I will go over the entire install in another post. In this one, I just want to show how I was able to use the stock OEM Baffles with larger speakers.

When I search for how to install larger door speakers, all I found was a DIY for replacing the OEM baffle with a cutout of MDF.

Here if what I found:

I wanted to use the OEM baffles instead, so here is what I did.

First I removed the speakers from the baffle.

Using a Dremel with a cutting wheel, I removed the face and the top and bottom sides surrounding the speaker opening. I cut along the seam of the baffle. I left the edge where the speaker wire attach intack so that the MDF would be sandwiched in between.

I then cutout squares of cardboard to create a template for the MDF I would cutout.

Once I had the template, I cutout squares of 1/2" MDF that I would secure to the baffles. I secured the MDF to the baffles with JB Weld. Once it was hardened I sealed the any openings where the MDF butt against the plastic with silicone. I later realize there really wasn't a need to seal the openings, as I ended up drilling holes in the back of the baffle to allow air to pass in and out of it.

Once I stalled the modified baffles in the doors, I saw I had to trim a bit of the MDF away so the door panel would fit properly. Notice the holes I drilled in the back of the baffle to allow air to pass in and out.

And here is the final step. I installed my new Polk Audio 6.5" Mid Range speakers. The entire system sounds amazing.

I will post the Amp, Head Unit, Dash Speakers and Rear Speakers I used as well. Just wanted to show how to get larger speakers in the doors without losing the baffles.

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote