Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
They sound much clearer and cleaner than the stock ones, particularly midrange. Bass is less muddy, but not necessarily significantly stronger. I think the speaker size limits the amount of bass it can produce.

Anyway, my car is now sold. Unfortunately I sold it before I managed to install the last addition, a Clarion 8" powered subwoofer.

Amazon.com : Clarion Mobile Electronics SRV250 Powered Subwoofer : Vehicle Subwoofer Systems : Car Electronics

I tought it might fit behind the passenger seat, if not under the seat. I guess I'll never know now - and I can't even return it now anymore...
Thanks, I read a recent post suggesting that Pioneer's TS-A1675R 3-Way 6.5" speakers fit without modification as well. The poster has a 1999 986 as I recall.

Miata2Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #22

I Did the same MOD without cutting the baffles, just making the inner center of the baffle a little big, you could use sand paper or a box cutter to start cutting around and finishing with sand paper. I used the same speaker! Polk 6.5 db651!!! Nice mod, less than 10 min per side. Using a rotary tool with a sand wheel start enlargign the inner of the baffle till the new speaker seats without problem. I start it with a box cutter all around, cause my rotary tool was dead with no charge! Then with a 5mm sheet foam from Michael's, fill around the speaker to keep it seal!
See pics
Attached Images

Last edited by FerNY; 11-25-2014 at 02:42 PM.
FerNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #23

Does anyone know the mounting depth using the OEM baffle?
MFozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:25 AM   #24

Garage
Did you guys rewire the door speakers as rear speakers with her new head units?
Old 03-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miata2Boxster View Post
Thanks, I read a recent post suggesting that Pioneer's TS-A1675R 3-Way 6.5" speakers fit without modification as well. The poster has a 1999 986 as I recall.
This is not entirely true. I believed the post where someone said they do but they do not fit. Do they drill into the baffle? Yes. Do they sit into the baffle flush? NO they do not. I just installed these exact speakers yesterday and they do not sit flush in the baffle and there is a gap. I just installed them yesterday. Back to the factory door speakers I go.

antny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baffles , door speakers , oem