Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #1

Boxster cheap updates

Hello everyone,
I was just looking for a few exterior mods that I could do to my boxster for a fairly low price.

I've already de-ambered the whole car by tinting my front headlights to an oval shape and tinting the amber on my tails in red. Also, I just had the wheels re-painted an off white with a machined lip.

Was thinking that I would replacing the tombstone looking stock spoiler with the "turbo style" one on ebay for $150 then modifying my lights to follow the line of the spoiler to replicate the 981's tail lights.

Anyone have any small mods they've performed that can be cheaply done? Interior or exterior?

Here's a few pictures so far:

samrwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #2

Any pics of your current interior? I removed the CD-holder for another shelf, removed the ashtray for regular storage space. Will probably swap out the gearknob and maybe pedals before too long.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

Sadly not yet my car is a mess now I'll have to clean it out and get some pics up tomorrow...

there are a couple small tweaks to the interior too i forgot to list

I've replaced my horrid cdr-220 with the Pioneer DEH-9400BH and the seats were reupholstered in new leather thats black on the bolsters and an off white on the inserts.The center console has been painted silver. Also installed the ebay short throw shifter.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #4

Garage
My next mod will be reupholstering the outboard armrest/storage cover flaps including some padding. Tastefully accenting the outside of the doors with huge red elephant heads should let everyone know you are the BMOC!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #5

"Was thinking that I would replacing the tombstone looking stock spoiler with the "turbo style" one on ebay for $150"

Not sure I am following you. Can you post a link to this spoiler on ebay?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #6

Probably this spoiler.

http://m.eagleday.com/pobotustrewi.html
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrapmot View Post
That would be it! i'm trying to think of a way to carry the spoiler over the lights like the 981

big red elephant heads on the door wouldn't fly with everyone on the auburn campus here haha thats asking to get keyed

What do you think about my headlights? not tacky at all? also do you think painting my center console white and accenting some of the plastics in white would be too much for the interior?

i've thought about painting or reupholstering the compartment flaps not sure what i'd want to do though
Old 02-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #8

Roll Tide.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #9

War damn eagle!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
Living in the desert.

Are those the fiberglass headlight covers, or just film tint? Won't tint just peel off in the wind?
tonichristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
If you want some cheap exterior cosmetic mods can I suggest the front and rear bumper extensions as in my profile pic.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonichristi View Post
Are those the fiberglass headlight covers, or just film tint? Won't tint just peel off in the wind?
It's spray tint by VHT that you can pick up at walmart or any auto parts store, they also have red tint for tail lights if you want to de amber the tails without buying new ones. I am considering redoing the lights in body color paint with a clear coat
Old 06-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
If you want some cheap exterior cosmetic mods can I suggest the front and rear bumper extensions as in my profile pic.
Are you referring to the lip on the front and the rear valences? are those factory or aftermarket parts? I was considering saving for the gt3tek rear diffuser, I dislike body kits but am a fan of the gt3tek lip kit they offer
Old 06-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samrwalt View Post
Are you referring to the lip on the front and the rear valences? are those factory or aftermarket parts? I was considering saving for the gt3tek rear diffuser, I dislike body kits but am a fan of the gt3tek lip kit they offer
The rear mimics the facelift rear bumper. The front is RS60/Sport Edition style and blended into the bumper. Both are body coloured.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by samrwalt View Post
It's spray tint by VHT that you can pick up at walmart or any auto parts store, they also have red tint for tail lights if you want to de amber the tails without buying new ones. I am considering redoing the lights in body color paint with a clear coat
Can you take some close ups and front shots of the headlight? I'm interested in the oval treatment.
rijc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
Can you take some close ups and front shots of the headlight? I'm interested in the oval treatment.
yeah but I'm missing my corners on the lights