Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #1

Smile research on sound system

I know we all want a nice sound system in our pcars but we don't have a lot of space for a sub to flush the sound coming out of the front speakers I'm trying to make the best sound system loud enough to have a great great sound whit the top off, I'm working on my car and triying 2 set ups first one whit pro audio is a speaker capable of 104 Db sensitivity that means loud but it needs a good processor to sound really clean and sub will be a 6 1/2 sub on a seal box I have 2 spots for the single sub. I keep my research and let you Pguys know my other set up it's for pure sound quality going whit focal mids and highs focal amp and Rockford fisgate 3sixty.2 that processor will do the job! but I will loose sound quality when the top is down that's why I'm gonna try the pro audio set up and see the results that's my 2013 proyect I'll keep posting on my research have a great day guys

bebeto986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Homeboy981

Garage
Hi @bebeto986,

Subs are a tough nut to crack! I have found with my 'small' 6.5" units in the doors that it is transferring a lot of rattles. I HATE rattles! Don't know how well our cars will hold up under BIG THUMPING! You might need to make your own enclosure. I have been looking at underneath and behind seats at an angle. Didn't like the passenger footwell sub ideas since they reduce passenger legroom, which is already at a premium.

Have an idea for using a couple 10" woofs using fiberglass custom made enclosure. But the power issue stopped me. As one person said, just get a Cat Back Exhaust and you will turn down the stereo to hear the REAL SYMPHONY!

Thought about putting in the trunk or frunk but they are sealed and you would have to "port" but then you are adding more road noise.

Also, you may be adding too much load to alternator. May cause you to have to upgrade IF you run an amp that is that much power.

Dunno, but let me know what you do. Let me hear the RFs thump from Houston!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #3

I'm using a footwell sub from a cayman. Stock bose box with and kicker amp on it. Sounds full now. infinity speakers through the rest of the car. 6.5s in the doors. I'm happy with it all.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #4

I'm using a dd sw6.5 dual 4 ohm coil they have these in single 4 coil I'm testing the bass coming from the front first and see how it sounds be, and then try rear and see the image this sub it's capable to do the job in small places and it will be a fiberglass box and some mdf let y'all know on my progress the box will be custom made by me

Last edited by bebeto986; 11-20-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Wrong
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #5

I wonder how something like this would sound:
Sound Ordnance™ B-8PT 120-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

I looks like it would fit on the rear shelf.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #6

It will perform well will give you a mild decent bass and it looks great! the price is telling me mild bass but how it's going to sound when your top it's down?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hm8-IJDg3YCar Audio Innovations' demo vehicle Porsche 911 (996) Carrera with Focal and Audison - YouTube

Last edited by bebeto986; 11-20-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #8

Car Audio Innovations' demo vehicle Porsche 911 (996) Carrera with Focal and Audison - YouTube the song its allright you want your pcar to sound like that ?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #9

Ah, that's cheating, a 911 is much easier to fit rear speaker into.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #10

That 911 video is just show the frunk idea on the amp set up and front speakers don't mind the rear
Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #11

Car Audio Innovations installed my audio upgrade about 10 years ago. It was a tremendous improvement. At the time, they didn't offer a sub-woofer. Now they do. It's an 8" two speaker system that sits behind the seats. I'm mentioning this to point out an option out there for those who are looking for a better bottom end. If you hunt around their website, you can find it in the 996 section.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #12
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Car Audio Innovations installed my audio upgrade about 10 years ago. It was a tremendous improvement. At the time, they didn't offer a sub-woofer. Now they do. It's an 8" two speaker system that sits behind the seats. I'm mentioning this to point out an option out there for those who are looking for a better bottom end. If you hunt around their website, you can find it in the 996 section.
Let's see some pics of the pair! I have been trying to place 10"s in there, maybe I have to "back it down a notch". Thanks for the post….encouraging.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
Let's see some pics of the pair! I have been trying to place 10"s in there, maybe I have to "back it down a notch". Thanks for the post….encouraging.
Try this link..Car Audio Innovations — '84-'89 (911 & 930), convertible and coupe Part# SEC84
Old 11-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #14

Porsche Carrera 911 996 custom stereo subwoofer package by Car Audio Innovations CAI - YouTube homeboy981 look at 0.13 you'll see the box for your pcar that's the one
Old 11-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #15

Does it restrict the seat position at all?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #16

I exchanged emails today with Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations. I mis-read the website. According to Rob, they do not offer a subwoofer that sits behind the 986 seats. My apologies for the bad information.

Here's the link I was looking at. Porsche Audio.

Once the page opens, scroll down and find the following link on the left side of the page: "Our Sub Enclosures for the 1999-present Porsche 911 (996) and Boxster (986)".

Click on the link and when the new page opens, you'll see the 996 solution I thought applied to the boxster. It's about 3/4 down the pages. The side-by-side unit uses 8" woofers.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #17

Garage
Why is this such a massively debated subject? Let me put in my two cents.

1) In 2003-2004 the "premium" sound system came with a rear subwoofer instead of a rear storage compartment. Why do more people not look for these and just upgrade them. It's a solution that everyone looks to do, with questions like "Will these subwoofers fit in my storage compartment?" Why not just look for a salvaged boxster and buy the box out of it. It'll probably be cheaper in the long run.

2) Everyone asks the same questions so let me put all the information in a quick and easy format...
a) Don't put subwoofers in the front or rear trunk. You will not hear it or feel it.
b) Yes, there are passenger footwell boxes, and yes no one wants to limit footwell space.
c) If you want to put a subwoofer behind your seats, you'll probably have to make some ghetto contraption, or have one custom built for $$$.
d) Can you fit a subwoofer in the rear storage compartment? Yes... Porsche already did it.

~Brad
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #18
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Mine is an 8in kicker in a shallow enclosure, passenger floor, next to center console. Last time I posted a pic, I got ripped for it being "ghetto", lol!

Not at all ghetto and only slightly restricts side to side leg movement.
Powered by a 250w Sony Xplod, I'd swear it was a 10 if I didn't know better. Sounds great, drop in, and hassle free. Of course, I'd like to drop the sub into a more hidden custom enclosure, but as it isn't a problem, haven't gotten around to it. It's also just not a priority for me. I like good sound for road trips, but around town, the sound of the engine is just fine

Oh yeah...Sony Xplod HU, infinity 6.5's in the doors, infinity 3 ways up top, all four powered straight off of the 52w x 4 HU. Sound is amazing at 70mph with the top down
Say what you will, it's just fine with me

Last edited by particlewave; 11-22-2012 at 07:49 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #19

Garage
Particle, I wouldn't say that's ghetto... But imho it is a little tacky. But if you're happy, all the power too you

~Brad

EDIT: Btw, how did you get your climate control back lighting to be blue? I've wanted to do that for awhile but can't find out how!
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Ordered 30 micro surface mount LEDs online, disassemble unit, de-solder and remove orange LEDs, and replace with the blue-uns

Here is my thread on the climate control conversion with pics:
Changing the color of the Climate Control and switch back-lights

As for the box, it fits behind the seat if you move it forward all the way and crush your passenger
I had a local audio shop quote me $125 for a custom hidden fiberglass enclosure, which seemed reasonable. Like I said, just hasn't been a priority and since I'm usually driving solo, I never notice the box.