Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #1

Air Intake Tip

Installing the EVO air intake on my 98 Boxster. I have read all the problems with removing the factory air box. I took a Dremel tool to it and cut it out in 15 minutes. Don't see the point in keeping the old one if you are replacing it anyway, along with the potential problems of taking the intake manifold off, doesn't seem worth it. Just make sure you vacuum out any debris.

navyc130fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #2

Please tell more...I am working on my quarter panel right now and that area is a pain....do you have any pics?
superjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #3

Here are pics with stock intake in the car and then removed
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #4

Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
Homeboy981

Garage
Might I suggest this…..a $12 Honeycomb Filter from Saxonpc.com (placed within 2" of MAF-in the opening of the MAF housing)

In this….siliconeintakes.com 4" intake tubing to 3.25" at MAF Housing (with MAF relocated NEXT TO TB) and a filter from ebay 6"X11"...

You will have to WORK to get it in….but it is WORTH IT!!

Still have not even put on my "cold air" portion of the intake. I am using a stock Throttle Body too. The computer has adjusted and is getting same mileage as before 14-25 mpg depending on acceleration used.

All in all - probably under $150 spent and well WORTH IT! Many told me it could not be done, maybe they could not do it, but here it is, working better than stock! And for a fraction of "name-brand" systems. Combine that with a Cat Back system and my car has lighting quick acceleration to the red line, no waiting!

I am not trying to knock anyone's choices on their intake selection…just don't knock me, and catch me IF you can!

See Ya!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #6

Nice piping job. Now put the stock airbox back in!
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #7
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY View Post
Nice piping job. Now put the stock airbox back in!
Ha!

Never! You can have it….it is a 3 piece assembly tho!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #8

I say that being it is the best cold air intake other than a 987 airbox. The stock filter will produce more ponies than a slightly dirty cone filter and like I said it is the best cold air intake. The stock snorkel even helps keep the power smooth.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
Ha!

Never! You can have it….it is a 3 piece assembly tho!
I will take the snork. I need to quiet down my set up!!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #10

Garage
Hey Homeboy, what MAF housing are you using?
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Might I suggest this…..a $12 Honeycomb Filter from Saxonpc.com (placed within 2" of MAF-in the opening of the MAF housing)

In this….siliconeintakes.com 4" intake tubing to 3.25" at MAF Housing (with MAF relocated NEXT TO TB) and a filter from ebay 6"X11"...

Still have not even put on my "cold air" portion of the intake. I am using a stock Throttle Body too. The computer has adjusted and is getting same mileage as before 14-25 mpg depending on acceleration used.

All in all - probably under $150 spent and well WORTH IT! Many told me it could not be done, maybe they could not do it, but here it is, working better than stock! And for a fraction of "name-brand" systems. Combine that with a Cat Back system and my car has lighting quick acceleration to the red line, no waiting!

I am not trying to knock anyone's choices on their intake selection…just don't knock me, and catch me IF you can!

See Ya!
Moving the MAF to the throttle body does not improve throttle response. Air is incompressible in an intake tube, so when the flow starts at the throttle body, it also starts at the intake, no delay.

What MAF housing are you using and have you checked your AFR's? With the sensor on the inside downstream of a bend, I can guarantee that you are running leaner than stock with a standard diameter MAF housing. It will be even leaner than that with a larger housing. I'm guessing you probably see slight studdering at part throttle steady state as well, as the separated flow coming around that bend isn't steady.

The honeycomb is not going to help with creating a uniform flow as the air comes around that bend.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Wouldn't an aftermarket cone filter like this just pull in hot air from the engine compartment rather than the more beneficial cold air from outside of the vehicle? What is the advantage?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #13
Homeboy981

Garage
Hey Pwave,

Yes. It is sucking warm air now. This was considered Stage 2 of MI Cold Air Intake System. The final stage is to encapsulate the conical air filter. I have design my own fiberglass "tube" that covers the ENTIRE factory inlet hole. However, I have been too busy to put it on! I must say, while some may disagree, performance has NOT bee sluggish or even suffered as far as I can tell.

The tube needs the end pieces for mounting before it is fully finished. Just have not had time to fiberglasss it on there.

Will post pics when I get it done.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Ah...I see
Old 12-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #15

With my EVO intake in and new exhaust in, I don't know which one has made a difference!!! I can definitely feel more power though. Or it may be just be the sensation the badass new exhaust sound gives me! May not be actually going faster, but sure as hell sounds like it! Either way, I'm glad I did both. :dance:
Old 12-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #16

Quote:

See Ya!
Why does that set up require 9-10 clamps? Did I count wrong?

oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote