Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #1

Garage
Emerg Trunk Release...Ahh, peace of mind!

Many thanks to the members here for DIY fixes.

Used Mike Focke's instructions and Particlewave's pics to reroute my emergency frunk release from the behind-the-headlight (...duh) location to the tow hook this morning. Max of 20 minutes and works perfect .

No more worries about accessing the battery, tools, etc.

Thanks again!!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It is a good feeling to know that you'll never be locked out of your frunk.

Glad the pics helped!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #3

Now do your rear. It also only takes a few minutes. (Danger....leave this one alone too!!! Please ?? )
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #4

Garage
Yep, rear next...somehow it doesn't seem as critical...until I lock my key in it.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjazz View Post
Yep, rear next...somehow it doesn't seem as critical...until I lock my key in it.
OH IT IS !!! Just think of rotting groceries trapped in the rear trunk ??? My wife always uses the trunk for small grocery trips. Rotting yogart ??? Yikes !!!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #6

Garage
Hmmm...rotting food. That's a pretty convincing argument. Having 4 new tires put on this morning, I'll get that rear trunk done this afternoon.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #7

BTW, I'd advise against putting groceries (at least perishables) in the rear trunk. Do you have any idea how warm it gets in there??

On the other hand, it's a great place to transport take-out pizza!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:09 AM   #8

Garage
Mmmmm.....pizza!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Mmmmm.....pizza!
I love pizza............and Martinis
Old 06-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #10

Garage
milliemax...I've been looking at your thread on the rear cable re-locate. How does the shock tower location work for you? Just thinking about alternatives....
Old 06-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliemax View Post
I love pizza............and Martinis
My kind of gal!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #12

Quote:
milliemax...I've been looking at your thread on the rear cable re-locate. How does the shock tower location work for you? Just thinking about alternatives....
I used a single piece of wire and kept the length and # of "turns" to a minimum. This cuts down on friction/pull resistance. The shock tower location seemed to be a good spot to end the cable. It is also well hidden. You must lower the top a bit to gain access to the area. Or reach in and feel your way to the "grab handle" GOOD QUESTION !!!! I will re-visit this when my wife returns today with the car. I did not have a proper cable (choke,throttle, etc.) to use, just a piece of stiff wire that will not break. AND I HOPE TO NEVER USE IT.... BUT , my wife and the car is another story. I just know someday I will get "the call".
Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #13

Just to set the record straight here...

milliemax---your profile lists you as "Female". You might want to do something about that!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Just to set the record straight here...

milliemax---your profile lists you as "Female". You might want to do something about that!
when I found this forum I wanted my wife to use it to "get to know" the car but that is another story. I did not think about a "clever "name for our address on this forum so I just used Millie and Max. They are 2 badly abused stray cats that I adopted and love very much. Millie had to be put down 2 years ago and it is still on my mind every day. And honestly....I do not know how to change the registration/ profile on this forum. Photos of the car also. I guess I could re-register under a different name. Sorry to all of you for this confusion.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I would have never noticed.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliemax View Post
when I found this forum I wanted my wife to use it to "get to know" the car but that is another story. I did not think about a "clever "name for our address on this forum so I just used Millie and Max. They are 2 badly abused stray cats that I adopted and love very much. Millie had to be put down 2 years ago and it is still on my mind every day. And honestly....I do not know how to change the registration/ profile on this forum. Photos of the car also. I guess I could re-register under a different name. Sorry to all of you for this confusion.
That's cool. Just didn't want anyone gettin' the wrong idea. (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

I had a similar but different (if that makes sense) deal with my "Frodo" moniker. It was accidental, in a way, and admittedly kind of a dumb choice. You see, I had been 'lurking' on the forum years ago but hadn't ever bothered to register, content for awhile just to absorb what others wrote. Finally one day one of my sons sees me reading some post or other and asked why I didn't join. Told him I just hadn't bothered, hadn't really even figured out how to do it.

So he elbows me aside at the computer and starts to do it for me. When he got to the point where he needed to enter a username, he asked who I wanted to be, a question I wasn't exactly prepared for. Not having really thought about it, I just sort of blurted out "Frodo", the first thing that popped into my head. (I think maybe we had recently seen one of the Lord of the Rings movies, IIRC.) Thought I could just change it down the road to something I would be happier with...didn't realize that (as far as I can figure it) that can't be done. Soooo, 1,074 posts later, I still be Frodo. It's still a goofy choice, but it's sort of grown on me, I don't mind it anymore...
Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #17

Garage
milliemax...Thank you for the reply. Folks who look after abused pets are special indeed. My condolences for Millie's loss, she was fortunate to have your care.

Frodo is a great name too. Good stories guys and thanks for your knowledgable posts and assistance!!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #18
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I could explain my user name, but I don't want to make anyone fall asleep.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I could explain my user name, but I don't want to make anyone fall asleep.
Lemme guess...physicist?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #20

All of you are very nice to "talk" to and you are very helpful with getting to know the 986. Now Danger ???? He just drives to fast........................with all those rockets bolted to his bumper !!!!