Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yet another front trunk emergency release cable thread(with pics)

I finally decided to reroute my emergency release cable to the tow hook hole before it bites me in the rear. I searched and searched for pics on where it is located so that I wouldn't have to disassemble the entire front end to find it. I had little luck finding pics, and the few that I did find were not in the same location as mine, so I thought I'd post some pics for others in the same boat.

It was next to the passenger side headlight(right side of car) and very hard to see. I actually wound up tracing it back from the latch in order to find it. This is no where near the pics that I found.

Last edited by particlewave; 12-23-2013 at 08:31 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #2

Your cable is right where it should be. Glad you found it.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #3

Great job. I too need to do this.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Maybe I was searching the wrong terms, but most of the info and pics I found had it in the wheel well. I'm pretty sure that the one good pic I found was a Carrera, though. Anyway, I hope these pics can help someone in the future.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #5

Very useful thread, thanks, now I know it's not a bumper off job to find it I might have a look to see if mine is in the right place as well.
Where abouts does it end up ? where you actually pull it if you ever need to do a emergency boot release, have you a picture of that as well please.
Guvs.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Its the "loop end" in the second picture. Thats the end of the cable. Seems kinda silly to have the emergency release cable there, since you have to open the front trunk to remove the headlight. If you can open the trunk to remove the light, then you probably didn't need the emergency release.

I suppose you could get to it through the wheel well if you had tiny hands and long arms, lol!
Anyhow, it was super easy to re-route it to the tow hook hole. Just used a coat hangar with a small hook bent into the end. Hung the cable through the slot beind the front bumper(had to remove that black plastic guard) and fished it through the hole with the hook.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Its the "loop end" in the second picture. Thats the end of the cable. Seems kinda silly to have the emergency release cable there, since you have to open the front trunk to remove the headlight. If you can open the trunk to remove the light, then you probably didn't need the emergency release.

I suppose you could get to it through the wheel well if you had tiny hands and long arms, lol!
Anyhow, it was super easy to re-route it to the tow hook hole. Just used a coat hangar with a small hook bent into the end. Hung the cable through the slot beind the front bumper(had to remove that black plastic guard) and fished it through the hole with the hook.
Again thanks, and yes it is a bit silly to have it located there better idea of yours.
Guvs.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #8

The Porsche mechanic knows how to snatch the cable in about 5 seconds. That is after you had the tow truck deliver the car to the dealer. Then after a day waiting you get your car back and your wallet is ????? $300.00 lighter maybe more ??? OOPS !!!
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #9

Hi All.
Sorry if you have already read this in the "General section" but I was trawling through the threads and came across this post and I thought "This is the thread that got me started on this subject" so I will just cut and paste most of what I said, But i have got a few photos for this thread.

I've been reading this post with interest, like most things we always correct things after the event, like me for instance putting crash bungs on your bike after I've had a off, Doh !! Anyway back to this thread, last week for some reason (I know now why after reading this thread) I decided to re-route my "emergency boot release cables" (EBRC) before the event, as one day I will do it, ie lock my keys in one of the boots, the main reason I did it was, it would be a bit of a bugger getting access to the EBRC without taking the wheel off as mentioned in Kenny Boxster post earlier, (In the general Section) I think he may not have had to do this yet, as if like most people the locking wheel nut socket is located in the tool roll in the Boot !! that's my first point, the other point is when I was doing this modification, (This is where my front EBRC has ended up)

when testing the EBRC yes it will open the boot, but also the car alarm will go off and as Chris Zang said it goes into "don't steal me mode" and that means you can't open the doors to operate the other manual boot release switch in the cabin, so make sure you know what boot you left your keys in, or be prepared for a long annoying noisy time until you get the EBRC for the other boot. (That is why I did the EBRC in the rear boot as well here are a few photos of how where)
First find/follow the EBRC from the rear boot to where it disappears down a hole.

Pull the cable back through the hole, it is a tight squeeze to get it through the grommet but if you wiggle it and spray some WD40 it will come out/through

Now drill a small hole just behind the bottom rear light bracket for the light cluster screw fittings, I was thinking of putting a grommet here but for the amount of time I will be pulled I don't think it is likely to fray on the rough edges, having said that I did smooth the hole off with a round file.

I didn't realise there was a grommet next to where I was drilling may be worth taking it out and feeding the wire through that one before you drill another hole and it can exit the boot area of the car via a small gap up under the rear wheel arch here.

All I need now to get into my boots is the knowledge of where to find my EBRC's it would take me less then a minuet to gain access to each boot, I may not ever need to use them but at least I now know it's not going to be a pain in the back side when I do
Guvs.
Note.
I have thought about should I say what Ive done for obvious reason, but like I said earlier if you use the EBRC the car will going to "Don't steal me mode" and the alarm will go off anyway.

Last edited by Guvs; 11-21-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Good show, Guvs!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Good show, Guvs!
Hi.
Just seen the other thread about the boot release cable, common problem lots of us seem to have, never seen that thread before I posted on the other one.
Guvs.