Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #1

Cat-back Exhaust DIY: Video inside with Exhaust Sound

Porsche Boxster 986 Cat-back Exhaust DIY - YouTube

I did not take pics of every step since I was in a hurry to finish the project and forgot to snap some pics. But the instructions should be easy to follow.

If you just want to hear the sound, skip to 2:03 in video.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #2

Sounds good man! Is this the exhaust thats on Ebay? Looks like it. I was thinking about getting it too but didnt want it to sound like crap.

Do you have the secondary cats deleted in this video too, and are your primary cats still there?
Tim1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1137 View Post
Sounds good man! Is this the exhaust thats on Ebay? Looks like it. I was thinking about getting it too but didnt want it to sound like crap.

Do you have the secondary cats deleted in this video too, and are your primary cats still there?
Secondary Cats deleted with same brand test pipes. Primary cats are still there because I did not want a CEL light or emissions trouble.

Yeah I got it on ebay since it is cheaper from there.

Top Speed Auto sells them for $499 retail I think. But the ebay prices are $260-350 with shipping.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #4

Any idea if theres a sound clip out there with the "ebay" style headers and that exhaust as well? Im afraid deleting all the cats will make the car sound terrible.
Tim1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #5

It would just be a little louder but same sound.

Don't get the ebay headers though. I read from others who bought them say that they do not fit correctly. It will also activate the CEL light and it won't pass emissions.

Fabspeed and NHP sell headers with sport cats that fit right and are still street legal and still offer more flow and power.

Unless you have a pipe bender, you will have a tough time installing it.

Otherwise, it is a very simple and easy install. Just jack up rear points of car on a flat surface, remove rear wheels, and get a 1/2 inch socket and breaker bar to remove the old bolts and remove O2 sensors. Access is very easy.