Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #1

Serpentine belt replacement

I purchased my 03 986 with 80K on it, and the manual recommends replacing the belt at 60K. I figured the previous owner may not have done the replacement, so I opted to do it myself.

I was stunned by how easy it was -- literally 3 minutes once I had access to the compartment.

Some quick observations:

1. One can access the front of the engine by removing the carpet across the back of the passenger compartment behind the seats. One must first remove the storage compartment that sits adopt the passenger compartment to gain access to the fasteners that hold the carpet in.

2. Remove the carpet. Then remove the metal panel underneath. There are 10 bolts holding it on, each 10 mm.

3. Remove the existing belt by using a 24 mm wrench to release the tension on the tensioner, then pulling the belt off. Replace with a new belt, releasing the tension on the tensioner when looping the belt around the last wheel.

4. Start the engine and test before putting the cover and carpet back on.

Super easy.

ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote