Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 03:08 AM   #1

Control arm bushings

In this hot weather we are experiencing, my 2000 Boxster S has developed a very loud squeek from the right front control arm bushing. I sprayed some lubricant on it and it stopped for a short time. I have read posts about saturating it and will try that today.

3 questions:
(1) after searching for replacement control arms, I thought I found a decent price but after more searching, I saw a listing that said "not for litronic headlight system". Does anyone know if there is a difference in the control arms with the litronic system? If they are referring to the plastic clip on it, that applies only to the driver's side. Are the actual control arms different?

(2) After reading Wayne's book on Boxster Projects, I read on section that mentioned that you must make sure the tires on the ground when tightening the bold on the control arm or you will destroy the bushing. I have never read that anywhere before. Any opinions?

(3) I know I can replace the bushings but thought that if the price was right I would replace the whole control arm to get a new ball joint, etc. at the same time. But if I only replace the bushing, any opinions on the sport for standard hardness? How about urethane vs rubber?

Thanks for all the help this board gives me!

timurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #2

I know this is a year late.

But I have been told by a few mechanics that on our Boxster's, you cannot only replace the Lower Control Arm Bushings. You need to replace the entire lower control arm.

I am replacing mine this week as well as installing lowering springs. Hopefully it's not too hard. I bought a set of new front lower control arms for about $180 + shipping. Not OEM. OEM parts cost more than $300 per control arm. Not even the entire set.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
SoK

Have a link where you bought them?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #4

I just spoke to my mechanic about replacing my control arm bushing since I, too, have a creaking sound coming from my front right suspension corner. He said that he would "try" to replace the bushing itself, but he prefers to replace the entire control arm. It sounds to me like the replacement can be done, but it requires some elbow grease and a strong press. Has anyone had these bushings replaced or done the job himself?

Autocrosser#73 is offline   Reply With Quote