Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 05:50 AM   #1

Has anyone used VHT Flameproof?

I am about to change out the front brakes on my girlfriends Sonata and I decided to do a little test to prevent rust on the rotors. I got a can of black VHT Flameproof, masked off the contact surface of the rotor, and gave it about 4 light coats. I do realize now that this paint is complete overkill and I probably would have been fine using something like Dupli-Color Caliper paint, but go big or go home right? Plus I was curious about how good this paint was and the process.

They turned out great, but I am trying to decide if I should bake the rotors before I put them on. The directions on the can say that to achieve the best durability follow these steps:

* Paint must be completely dry before curing
* Heat to 250°F (121°C) for 30 minutes
* Cool for 30 minutes
* Heat to 400°F (204°C) for 30 minutes
* Cool for 30 minutes
* Heat to 650°F (343°C ) for 30 minutes

If anyone has any experience with this paint, is it really necessary to follow all or any of these steps for rotors? Is it safe to bake parts in my home oven? Will heating rotors at 650 degrees have any adverse affects on the integrity of the rotor? (my oven only goes to 550 so i guess I should ask if 550 degrees will damage/warp the rotor)

Thanks

Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoodburn
I am about to change out the front brakes on my girlfriends Sonata and I decided to do a little test to prevent rust on the rotors. I got a can of black VHT Flameproof, masked off the contact surface of the rotor, and gave it about 4 light coats. I do realize now that this paint is complete overkill and I probably would have been fine using something like Dupli-Color Caliper paint, but go big or go home right? Plus I was curious about how good this paint was and the process.

They turned out great, but I am trying to decide if I should bake the rotors before I put them on. The directions on the can say that to achieve the best durability follow these steps:

* Paint must be completely dry before curing
* Heat to 250°F (121°C) for 30 minutes
* Cool for 30 minutes
* Heat to 400°F (204°C) for 30 minutes
* Cool for 30 minutes
* Heat to 650°F (343°C ) for 30 minutes

If anyone has any experience with this paint, is it really necessary to follow all or any of these steps for rotors? Is it safe to bake parts in my home oven? Will heating rotors at 650 degrees have any adverse affects on the integrity of the rotor? (my oven only goes to 550 so i guess I should ask if 550 degrees will damage/warp the rotor)

Thanks
safe ? depends on your wife...most will shoot you for ruining the oven and stinking up the house. outdoor grill paint works too...with less prep and drama
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker
safe ? depends on your wife...most will shoot you for ruining the oven and stinking up the house. outdoor grill paint works too...with less prep and drama

ruin the oven? how would that happen?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #4

you will smell the paint everytime you turn on the oven for years
Old 12-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker
you will smell the paint everytime you turn on the oven for years

I was thinking that because the paint has had a few days to dry before curing, there would be no smell. why would I smell it every time I turn on the oven after?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
JTP

Quote:
I was thinking that because the paint has had a few days to dry before curing, there would be no smell. why would I smell it every time I turn on the oven after?
I have a suspicion that Mrs Extanker reminds him every time she fires up the stove.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #7

we needed a new oven anyway..........the old one cooked many a harley case once it went into the garage....she never found out about the dishwasher cleaning the cases....she was a good one may she rest in peace
Old 12-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #8

I am baking them now and actually cannot smell anything. I think the key is making sure the paint has had at least a day to dry before curing. FWIW, I did cover it with an aluminum foil "box" to ensure all particles stay inside. Whether or not it is doing anything, I dont know.

I think I am only going to bake them at 250 degrees for 30 min. I am kind of worried about following the last few steps in the directions and increasing the temperature any higher. Your thoughts?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #9

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
it's not a matter of tasting or smelling anything. fumes and chemicals contaminate the oven which then contaminate your food.

you should have a dedicated oven in your shop for this kind of thing.

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928
it's not a matter of tasting or smelling anything. fumes and chemicals contaminate the oven which then contaminate your food.

you should have a dedicated oven in your shop for this kind of thing.
he,s going his own way...directions/advise arent wanted
Old 12-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #11

I appreciate all advice, thank you to everyone who has responded. That is why we are all here. If I had the option of having a separate shop oven, I definitely would have gone that route. Shoot, I wish I just had a shop to do my work in! Unfortunately I don't so I did what I had to do. The parts came out good so I guess we shall see how well it holds up. Next time I think I will go with something like the duplicolor caliper spray or outdoor grill paint which doesn't require such an intense curing process.

I will give an update if it seems like it doesn't hold up so everyone will know whether it is worth it to go with VHT Flameproof for this application. Again, I did only do the first step of the curing process (30 min at 250 degrees) so I am doubtful at how well it will hold. If you don't hear back, then I guess you can assume it's doing its job.

Thanks to everyone for your advice
Old 12-17-2010, 10:49 PM   #12

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Quote:
If you don't hear back, then I guess you can assume it's doing its job.
or that you died from cancer after cooking in that oven...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but dang what is all this about baking paint!? I've done my MB, Nissan, and my Porsche with grill paint, dupli-color, and VHT (yes I was experimenting) and they are all awesome and hold up fine, no baking. I even used a clear high temp finish to give them shine and they look better then original.
Are people tracking these cars, is that the concern...I know my rotors get hot but the calipers are always cool. If the calipers get so hot, isn't that baking by default .
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #14

Garage
The VHT caliper paint or rotor paint does not need to be baked. I have painted my rotors with it and all you have to do is bed the pads properly and at the same time you will seal the paint. they get damn hot and cool off, damn hot then cool off. 45 hundred miles later there is NO rust on the rotors except where I did not paint. just make sure you go up the the threshold of the pad wear for best results (visually)

this way you do not have to waste your time with an oven.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
My bad...this post was about rotors not calipers...too funny I wasn't reading close enough.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928
or that you died from cancer after cooking in that oven...

Thanks for the constructive response and positive support. All of the food I have made in the oven since has tasted delicious.... so I don't care.

Lobo, that was the response I wish I had gotten from the beginning and the reason I asked if it was necessary to take all or any of the baking steps. Thank you, I will keep that in mind in the future when I replace them on my 986. Either way, the rotors are on and are working great. The paint seems to be holding up very well even with all the salt on the road from recent snow; so for now I guess I will just wait and see if they rust.... or I get cancer.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #17

note to self...turn down all home cooked food from GW