Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #1

rattle noise

I hope someone out there can help me diagnose this problem. When I drive, I hear a rattle noise coming from the right rear side of the car. Most pronounce when the window or top is done and driving by a wall. It sounds like a loose tin can. It is most prominent when at 2-3K RPM. Not noticeable at lower RPM and maybe there at higher but drown out by the engine. It's annoying. Makes the car sound "cheap". I have taken it to many mechanics and even the dealership. They say that it is the normal sound of the car. It is one of the valves opening. REALLY? To me, it does not sound normal. Car drives fine, but just annoying sound. I even had the car jacked up and hit around everywhere with a hammer to see if I could reproduce it, but no luck. And rarely does it rattle when in park and reving the engine. Only in motion. HELP.

tuanle16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #2

1) Loose heat shield. This is pretty common. Get it up in the air and poke around until you find the one that's rattling.
2) Catalytic converter is shot and you have chunks rattling around in your exhaust.

My money's on the heat shield...
Old 10-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #3

i agree. that is exactly what it sounds like to me too. but again, i did get it up and banged around. could not locate it. i also knock around the cats and exhaust and pipes..no luck.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #4

if it is more of a clunky rattle, then look to the lower track arm (199$) often goes out, the plastic bushings go bad where it bolts to the frame. If it is a tinny rattle, then heat sheild. heat shield often make noise also with the car still and reving the motor.
driving about 10 mph over cobble stone road is the easiest way to hear the track arm.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16
I hope someone out there can help me diagnose this problem. When I drive, I hear a rattle noise coming from the right rear side of the car. Most pronounce when the window or top is done and driving by a wall. It sounds like a loose tin can. It is most prominent when at 2-3K RPM. Not noticeable at lower RPM and maybe there at higher but drown out by the engine. It's annoying. Makes the car sound "cheap". I have taken it to many mechanics and even the dealership. They say that it is the normal sound of the car. It is one of the valves opening. REALLY? To me, it does not sound normal. Car drives fine, but just annoying sound. I even had the car jacked up and hit around everywhere with a hammer to see if I could reproduce it, but no luck. And rarely does it rattle when in park and reving the engine. Only in motion. HELP.

I have the exact same noise and it bothers me too.

However, I had a 2010 boxster for a loaner and it made a similar noise so I'm not worried about it anymore, but I still don't like it.

Where can I find the heat shields?
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
JTP

I didn't notice a rattle noise even driving in a parking garage with top down. But, I drove my car once with the engine cover off and noticed a loud tinny rattle like a loose heat shield. Not too worried about it though.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #7

i don't have a jack, but i crawled up under where i could. i see the protection plastic guards. but where would i find the heat shields? any pictures out there?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #8

Hi Guys,

hate to sound like a total n00b, but can someone please give some step by step instructions on how to check the lower control arm. Sounds exactly like the problem I'm having.

If I put the car up on some ramps, where should I look (or how should I test) to see if these need replacing. And if they do need replacing, where should I buy the parts from?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #9

Hi,

Noisy rear right suspension

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #10

Still doesnt give me the detail I need... Can anyone circle a part from a picture of under a boxster to show me where I need to be checking for wear?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 10-12-2010, 05:06 AM   #11

OP, let us know how you resolve the issue.

Thanks
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #12

still un resolved. annoying. makes my boxster sound cheap. my friends have now even noticed and said something to me the other day. "your car sounds funny everytime you drive away" arrggghh!!
Old 10-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #13

I had a rattle noise develop in the engine. Turns out it was the idler pulleys forthe belt. I took them off popped of the seal and greased them. They quieted down the engine a ton. It was really loud when the sound bounced off the garage wall. Its easy to check. Pull the interior engine cover off release the tension on the belt and spin them by hand. They should be silent.
chubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #14

thanks. maybe i'll try that. i put the back on some ramps again and banged around. definitely not the heat shield. but possibly the exhaust/cats. when i hit those, i do hear a slight rattle like a pepple stuck in them or something. but i couldn't isolate exactly where it was coming from. frustrating.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16
i don't have a jack, but i crawled up under where i could. i see the protection plastic guards. but where would i find the heat shields? any pictures out there?
basically behind the bumper and above around the exhaust and tranny.

Hope this picture helps.

Mike
Attached Images

seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:09 AM   #16

wow. awesome pic. thanks. unfortunately, mine is not the heat shield. i found it and played with it. solid. no rattle. it also is not the belt. opened up the engine compartment and did not hear the rattle with the engine on and belt turning. frustrating. i think it's coming from the exhaust system, but just can't localize it specifically. when i tap on the exhaust pipes or cats, i can hear it. but just can't find it!!! arrgghh!!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #17

does anyone know of a good porsche shop in atlanta, so that i don't have to go to dealership? i actually did try, but they said that noise was normal. trust me..it is NOT normal. i want to get a second opinion on the matter, and hopefully a cheaper one too. thanks for everyone's input so far.

-tuan
Old 10-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #18

I have exactly the same problem you described (the wall, the RPM, etc) in your original posting. It only happened after some hard driving or warmed up car. Took it to my local dealership and they identified the problem as the one of the catalytic convertors (RHS). You do want to get it replaced before the check engine light comes on but have your emissions tested now to see if the cat is still working fine. This may buy you a bit of time. The dealer tested mine and said everything is ok but i should do it sooner rather than later.
BMAN_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #19

If it was the heat sheild pictured above that was loose, where are the bolts to tighten this? Would like to check.

Regards,
Sam
Old 10-30-2010, 12:39 AM   #20

so going back to tuanle16's original problem (which from his description sounded identical to the problem on my car) ...

I just finished swapping out the RHS Cat. After along 20 mile/40 minute drive on highway and urban roads everything is good and the noise is completely gone. Looks like it was the Cat after all. It was my first major mechanical DIY job on the car. Took about 2.5hrs from lifting the car to dropping it (and I'm no mechanic). Dealer wanted to charge me 2.1k ... I did it for 400 bucks with used OEM parts. First time I've really heard that engine go through it paces without the horrible rattle.

tuanle16, take it to a reputable dealer. let them confirm it's the Cat then find a mechanic who will fit one for you (or DIY it) and source the Cat yourself. I got mine from http://dcauto.gotdns.com/

Good luck!

BMAN_986 is offline   Reply With Quote