Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #1

Misfire cylinder 6

I have 01 Boxster S, Cel code P306, misfire cylinder 6.
Should I replace the coil pack? or move it to another cylinder and see if I get the code for that misfire?
should I repace the spark plugs? all orignaly I believe, 79,000miles.
Should I replace the spark plugs tubes as well?
will I cause more damage if I drive with the misfire?
any help would be much appreciated.
thx
Scott

Old 09-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #2

I'm certainly no expert here, but I had a P0301 (misfire cylinder 1) awhile back. I checked with a couple sources, both of whom said to switch that coil pack with another (good) one. Makes sense: If the code changes to that other cylinder, it HAS to be the coil pack that's bad.

It was a bad coil pack on cylinder 1 for me. I suspect if you have that many miles on those plugs, they (or at least "it") may need replacing as well. (May just want to replace them all.)

The general rule of thumb seems to be: If it's just a solid CEL it's probably not creating problems driving with it. If it's flashing, you don't want to be driving it.

Regarding the tubes: you may want to at least look at the tube for the offending cylinder. If it looks OK it probably is. You could replace the O ring---not a pricey replacement.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote