Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #1

Flash2Pass Install DIY

I wanted to install the Flash2Pass system in both of our cars - the Boxster and the new X5 - so we can do away with garage door openers.

First step is to remove enough of the fasteners holding the frunk lining so you can access one of the headlight harnesses. I tapped the passenger-side harness as shown here. The Flash2Pass system comes with the wiretaps. The white wire is the high-beam +12v (though it tested at 11v), and the brown is the fat common ground for the harness. The Flash2Pass instructions advised against chassis grounding.

The black box in the top right corner is the transmitter. As you can see, I had initially planned to leave it mounted behind the liner, but the frunk provides too much RF shielding, so I had to move the unit to the front bumper.

Closer view of the wires tapped:

There is a wire grommet that leads from the frunk to the area behind the front bumper. This image shows the precision tool I inserted into the existing wire grommet.

Closer view...

With a little manipulation, the hanger is now protruding through one of the holes in the bottom of the front bumper. To backpull the transmitter wires, I electrical taped the wires to the end of the hanger and gently pulled them back into the frunk.

I did have to lengthen the leads for the transmitter by about three feet. I soldered the extension wire on and used shrink tube around each lead, and then shrink-tubed around both - but I tend to err on the side of caution with wiring.

There is a bracket below the hood catch that I used to zip-tie the transmitter. Hopefully you can make it out in this image... the transmitter is the small black box you can only partially see. Getting my hand far enough up into the front bumper was the hardest part of the install.

Here's the frunk, put back to rights...

Here's a YouTube video showing how the system operates.

This is a very cool gadget, though the range is shorter than I'd hoped.

Google up Flash2Pass for pricing and further information if you're interested.

Last edited by sd_boxster; 01-06-2010 at 09:28 PM.
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Pretty cool.

I thought this was also pretty innovative way to accomplish the same thing...

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ekilsen/boxster_gdo.htm

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #3

that's kind of cool....to the uneducated it looks like your garage door opener is "light" activated.... your neighbors will start flashign their lights at your garage door to see if they can open it with their lights..
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #4

here is another way to accomplish the same thing. This was utilized on a motorcycle, but could easly be used with the boxster without a tremendous amount of modifications.

Garage door opener

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #5

Just installed the Flash2Pass, my range is about 90 feet and it works every time.

jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote