Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #1

Question Headlamp replacement

So. My low beam, driver's side finally burnt out, and I replaced same (upmarket) re the manual,Berkley, and what I read here. All went as to plan until I turned on the lights to admire my work-surprise now there were no lights working in the entire cluster. After several reinstallations, ensuring everything properly aligned, including the electrical connexion and still, nothing. Re berkley the circut includes the horn, which works. Could it be fuzes? Requires 2 as I read it. Any Ideas?

2003 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton, White/ Black
2006 Mini Cooper S Silver Grey/Black
1972 Chance HOP ROD, red /w Yellow handlebar
wifesmainwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #2

I had the same thing happen to me. Changed the bulbs and nothing. The switch has gone bad. It's a common problem. Here is a link to the write up I used:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/inde...785&#entry14785

I did this replacement myself a couple of months ago. Took about an hour. You can order the switch from Pelican Parts or get from the dealer. Good luck.
da032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #3

Thanks da, but the link failed. Will try again.
WMW
Old 11-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #4

Try this link. If this doesnt work just go to renntech.org and search "headlight switch". It will return a thread "1999 Boxster headlight switch, switch replacement". the link is enbedded in the first reply.

I found several different write ups both in this forum and Renntech and this was (the link) was the best.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3131&st=0&p=14785&#entry14785

Your welcome for the info! Anything to help out a fellow Boxster owner and Mountaineer! I was born and raised in Charleston and went to WVU
da032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:52 AM   #5

I realize I left out an important detail in describing my problem. I failed to mention that all the headlights on the passenger side work normally. Only the driver side unit is inoperative. Sorry.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #6

Update: After closer inspection, I found the multi pin recepticle which receives the plug in the headlight cluster was was loose in its mount, and not coupling.There are signs of previous mis-handling as there are obviously some clips and other locating tabs broken off. Checking w/ a voltmeter showed current w/ the switch on. Rather than replace the entire wiring harness, my idea is to remove the fender liner to reach the coupling from below and guide it in by hand-not unlike the stallion/mare technique. If I have to do this everytime a bulb burns out, I'm going to replace every bulb in that damn thing before I reassemble the unit. I just hate plastic parts! Happy to consider any advice.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #7

Boxster Headlight

My problem was following replacement of the Low Beam bulb, I replaced the Headlight unit back. The connecting plug did not slide back in smoothly and it appears I pushed the plug back, perhaps damaging the clips holding it in.

Any Ideas how to fix?
Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #8

I replaced both of my assemblies. Also noting when I slid them back in, I felt a resistance. Moving the assemblies up & down and side to side, slowly putting pressure on unit I was able to feel the connection where the pins fell into place. Patience is the key or remove the fender well and guide the connectors together there...probably how it was done at the factory.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote