Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #1

Changing LEDs in a/c display -is it possible?

I'm replacing my stereo which requires moving the a/c control unit etc, and wondered if it was possible to change the colour of the display while it was out?

I'd like to change the display from amber to white to make it look more modern, but haven't heard of anyone doing this.

Any thoughts? Is this DIY-able, a professional job, or simply not possible?

If no one knows then I'll set about dismantling the controls to take a peek, but figured I'd ask before I risk breaking my a/c -it's kinda hot in texas at the moment!

Paul_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #2

Never heard of anyone doing this. If you Google Module Master, they sell a replacement LCD, but its amber, like the factory. You may ask them if they a different color.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #3

It's an easy DIY... Done it twice...

A good place to start is ebay (as always...). There are a couple of sellers selling LEDs and they provide detailed instructions.

If you want to buy the LEDs separately and do the whole job yourself let me know... I think I have some instructions somewhere in my garage.

To get an idea of what it takes, you will remove the AC face, disassemble it and then unsolder and solder several SMD LEDs. A small soldering iron and some very basic ironing skills are required.

G
gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

I notice from the module master site that there is an orange colour filter in the unit -do you know what colour the LEDs are and if I could just remove / replace the filter as I think I might try this first as it looks pretty straight forwards.

I can solder, but pretty badly so would prefer to avoid replacing all those tiny surface mount LEDs if I can help it although, depending upon the colour of the original LEDs, it looks like that might be the only way.

I couldn't find any ebay vendors selling kits for the boxster unit unfortunately, but could probably find replacement LEDs at an electronics store.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:14 AM   #5

The display itself has a light blue/purple (or something like that) color. There is a filter behind it that may be white or yellow. But the LEDs are orange, so changing the filter (you can cut a piece of paper and create your own filter) is not enough to give you desired results (consider that you need to find the right combination of orange LEDs with some filter and the blue display that will give what ever color you want).

Despite the screen that might be filtered you need to change the LEDs of the surrounding buttons (that are orange too). And then you would like to change the LEDs inside the buttons of the center console the gauge etc.

The ebay seller is here:
Boxster LEDs
There are more than one, this is what I found with a quick search.
The problem with ebay sellers is that you do not know what you are buying (who manufactures the LEDs they sell), and I definitely recommend buying the best available and do the mod yourself (with help from us).

Here is my story to held you understand what you are getting into...
I had this dream of deambering the Boxster and turning it into UV (black light). I wanted to have the gauge in super white the A/C display in super white, and all the buttons in UV. I also installed some leds behind the air vents (inside the car) that really look amazing. After I started I realized that gauge and A/C display have different kinds of screens so using the same color LEDs behind them does not produce the expected (perfect) result. I changed the leds in the A/C display into UV too but UV was a really bad color choice. UV is dark (not bright) so although you get this black light feeling it's not what I was expecting.
I will do red next time (sometime in the cold NE winter). Red is easy to use and can be consistent everywhere. Looks cool too

Nonetheless, after removing the ashtray, the 5-spoke wheel, the cassette holder (!!!), the leather (ugly) storage compartment etc. the ugliest thing of the Boxster interior is the A/C unit. I am working on a project (it is still in my head...) that would totally remove the A/C from the console. It would take some time, but hopefully it will work.

PS. I am not a soldering expert, but you can always improve you technique in something else and then start working on the Boxster.
gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #6

Hmmm, in that case I think I'll save this one for when the weather is cooler (just in case!).

Personally I'm not too worried about a perfect result, just want something that's a bit brighter and fresher than the orange. I think I'll look for some white LEDs, that way I can change the filter to adjust the colour as desired (attempting to compensate for the LCD colour).

It would be really nice if someone makes an LCD display that spells manual correctly too..
Old 09-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #7

Garage
it is spelled correctly... in German :dance: but like it was said practice on something else like an old computer that is broken. I learned on a broken N64 and just tested the connections after. good luck (whenever it is you start)
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #8

One of my favorite mods done....I started with the blue LEDs and didn't like them so i switched to the super white LEDs. all the switches AC and dash done. No more ugly amber!!!!!

boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster7614
One of my favorite mods done....I started with the blue LEDs and didn't like them so i switched to the super white LEDs. all the switches AC and dash done. No more ugly amber!!!!!

I like it. Can you tell us what make of LED you used and where you bought the LED. How difficult was the job and can you post the steps?

AlexH is offline   Reply With Quote