View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 05:14 AM   #5
gstoli

The display itself has a light blue/purple (or something like that) color. There is a filter behind it that may be white or yellow. But the LEDs are orange, so changing the filter (you can cut a piece of paper and create your own filter) is not enough to give you desired results (consider that you need to find the right combination of orange LEDs with some filter and the blue display that will give what ever color you want).

Despite the screen that might be filtered you need to change the LEDs of the surrounding buttons (that are orange too). And then you would like to change the LEDs inside the buttons of the center console the gauge etc.

The ebay seller is here:
Boxster LEDs
There are more than one, this is what I found with a quick search.
The problem with ebay sellers is that you do not know what you are buying (who manufactures the LEDs they sell), and I definitely recommend buying the best available and do the mod yourself (with help from us).

Here is my story to held you understand what you are getting into...
I had this dream of deambering the Boxster and turning it into UV (black light). I wanted to have the gauge in super white the A/C display in super white, and all the buttons in UV. I also installed some leds behind the air vents (inside the car) that really look amazing. After I started I realized that gauge and A/C display have different kinds of screens so using the same color LEDs behind them does not produce the expected (perfect) result. I changed the leds in the A/C display into UV too but UV was a really bad color choice. UV is dark (not bright) so although you get this black light feeling it's not what I was expecting.
I will do red next time (sometime in the cold NE winter). Red is easy to use and can be consistent everywhere. Looks cool too

Nonetheless, after removing the ashtray, the 5-spoke wheel, the cassette holder (!!!), the leather (ugly) storage compartment etc. the ugliest thing of the Boxster interior is the A/C unit. I am working on a project (it is still in my head...) that would totally remove the A/C from the console. It would take some time, but hopefully it will work.

PS. I am not a soldering expert, but you can always improve you technique in something else and then start working on the Boxster.
gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote