Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #1

Ignition switch hints for big handed people.

Ok, just finished up the ignition switch and it works like a champ. It only took about 30 to 45 minutes, but if you use my hints you can do it in about 15 minutes Here are some helpfull hints.
Pedro is has some awesome advice and pics.
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_Ignition_Switch.html
1.) remove the air vent underneath just slides off, no screws. if your fat hands(like mine) won't fit. I found a pretty easy and medium labor intensive alternative.

2.)Go through drivers vent. Remove drivers side panel. 2 screws on the side between the door and dash(open door you will seed them.) pull head light switch forward and use a small screw driver to release bottom metal thingy and the switch pulls right out, no pressure. You need a star (t-15 i think) to get the screw out of the light switches long hole. I had to make another trip to autozone for that(fricking idiot germans). Now just pull the whole unit towards you. It takes a little force because of the vent seal thing. Nothing realy to break so just work up the sides and then the top. Make sure not to lose the pink screw clips.
3.) remove the one screw in vent behind light switch(this is a must and is most the trouble, but I found a cure to your ills). the vent just drops down to the floor.
4.) now both screws are visable and easily removed with a small screwdriver(I mean small). Mine took little effort to loosen screws a few turns. Now it should fall off. remove the wire harnes on back.
5.) now you need to slide under to see which way the half moon thing is facing. I tried to align the new switch with the old but it was off. The unit will slide right on snuggly when it is aligned properly, it will not fit snug if it isn't. tighten screws and snap the electric harness back on, turn key to make sure it works before you put everything back together.
6.) Now here is the time saver. you need to push the headlight switch wires down to the right and stick a towel in the vent so you don't lose the screw(yep I lost one). If you lose a screw 1 of the 4 fuse box screws fit perfectly(I will replace that later). I had to take the fuse box housing off to retrieve a screw driver I lost anyways(oops). put it all back together and it should work like a champ.
7.) if the pink screw holders slide out of sink on the door jam side , just use an ice pick to realign them. The hardest thing was trying to figure out how not to drop a screw until I got the towel out, oh, don't forget to take the towel out,

Thanks to pedro for the general idea, and thanks to spyder for suggesting going through the vent hole. I got my part through auto zone for about $20 next day pickup.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 10-12-2009 at 07:24 PM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote