Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #1

Thumbs up Throttle body clean on 2001 "S"

Ok I had two maintenance things left to do, Throttle body clean and change the fuel filter. I did the Throttle body today and it was majorly different from Pedros. First I had to tubes connecting the intake plenums( 1 was the "T"), Second I didn't have to take off the "T" just he T.Body. My engine was a lot easier than the earlier ones.
Make sure to study pedro's pictures and instructions first. If his is the same as your engine then my way will probably not work.
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Clean_the_Throttle_Body.html

Difficulty: 2 1/2 to 3 out of 10. Will be a solid 2 next time.
Time: About 30 minutes. 15 minutes next time.

Tools: 1.) socket for removing the nut on throttle body
2.) 1 flat head screwdriver
3.) can of throttle body cleaner( 4 bucks at Walmart)
4.) 8 or 9 paper towels (just take the roll)
5.) 1 hex/allen wrench large

MY car: 2001 "S" 3.2L 62k miles of pure bliss

Here the way I did it: I only took the throttle body off not the "T"
1.) unhook convertible and raise forward. I found putting the rear lip up as far as it would go is easier than trying to work over it. take rear carpet and engine cover off. took 3 minutes.
2.) Unloosen screws on 4 clamps holding the "T" air intake. slide the 2 connector pieces towards the center of the "T".
3.) Unloosen the Screw on the clamp at the other end of the throttle body at the air intake.
4.) Unscrew the nut holding the throttle body to the engine(be careful as it can/will fall into the twilight zone.
5.) Slide intake hose off the throttle body, then gently pull TBody up and out of intake plenums both sides.
6.) Take the 4 hex bolts off that hold the throttle body to the "T". Unhook the bottom electric connection. Your throttle body should be free and easily removed. You do not need to remove the “T” or any of its connections.
7.) I used the cleaner to spray off all the soot and carbon, surprisingly mine wasn't that bad at all with 62k miles. I stuck the large plastic end of a screw driver in the TBody to hold open the flap while I cleaned it with the spray and towel.
8.) I sprayed the cleaner in the ends of all 3 connections from the air intake to the 2 of the plenums. As Pedro suggested I reached in and cleaned out any soot.
9.)Put everything back together(don't forget the electrical connection on bottomed of TB). And becareful not to dro the nut or any of the bolts.
10.) I started my engine before I put the lid and top back on. I sprayed a little carb cleaner around all the seals to make sure I had them on correctly.

A few Observations:
1.) My 3.2 had the curved air induction thingy rather than the T. Apparetnly the curved helps push the air through with less turbulence.
2.) I didn't have to remove any hoses like Pedro had to. Probably due to different engines.

Projects completed:
1.) Serpentine belt...........$25 Gatorback w/ac
2.) Sparkplugs..................$42 Ngk-Ix-Iridium
3.) Radio replaced............$225 JVC HD50 (BB install)
4.) Tires............................$700 Sumitomo III Local shop
5.) Oil Change/air filter.....$94 catro syntec 10W40,napa gold,K&N air
6.) Speakers....................$143 Infinity Kappa F=4", R=6x4 plate
7.) Throttle body clean.....$5 Throttle body cleaner
8.) De-snorkel..................$.10 A few paper towels

Projects to do:
fuel filter
Battery (spring).

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-15-2009 at 09:53 AM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
You don't have a conventional fly by wire throttle. Yours is electric. Your plenum isn't a perfect 't' shape because it's from a e-gas 00'+. The newer 986s have a different style from 97-99' to 00'-04.5'.