Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #1

Ragtop will not open

My top will not open. I do know that it has to do with the half moon gear going past the 50th tooth (so I was told on another forum), but I looking for clear direction on how to manually open the top.

Thanks.

MAlfano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAlfano
My top will not open. I do know that it has to do with the half moon gear going past the 50th tooth (so I was told on another forum), but I looking for clear direction on how to manually open the top.

Thanks.
MAlfano:

The least painful way to get the top down enough manually so that you can access everything is to reach over/under through the rollbar and to then unhook the plastic bar that holds the black vinyl apron onto the rear firewall. That apron is held up by two small brackets, and you have to pull down and rotate the bar slightly (rear of bar rotates downwards and towards you as you access it with your arm through the roll bar).

Once you have the apron unhooked, you can get a good look at the two black vinyl outer cables that enter the electric motor on each side of the motor.

You can then feel and reach the point at which each cable is inserted and you must then pull up the upside-down U-shaped brass-colored clip and remove it. Once you have removed each one of the clips (one from the left, one from the right side of the motor) then you can pull each cable housing outboard.

Now insert the end of the inner (speedometer type) cable on one side into a cordless drill (on the LOWEST torque setting) and spin that inner cable until you see the clamshell BEGIN TO move up. Then switch the drill over to the other cable and repeat until that side begins to move up and go a little past where the level of the other side of the clamshell stopped. Repeat as necessary and finish off at whatever level you want by making both sides even and level.

There is a good possibility that this will allow your top to operate with the button at this point.

If not, you will have access to anything that you might have to work on.

There are a couple of other methods to get the top to move manually once it's stuck in the completely open position, but this one works well if you are not really BIG and TALL.

Once you rotate the V-levers a little, the top may start to work again on its own, but you should double check the transmissions and the cables. The worm gear where the cables go into the transmission sometimes explodes or cracks its plastic housing and I would check that as well.

Regards, Maurice.

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote