Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #21

I'd like to chime in here as well. Replaced the plastic end portion of my ignition switch about two weeks ago after a week of having a hard time getting the key out of the switch, then finally hearing that teltale sound of plastic "CRACK" as I put the key in one morning.

One of the posted DIYs recommended to cut most of the handle end of a shorty, flat head screwdriver to allow for more room to get the two end screws out. I ended up doing this twice. The first screwdriver I cut ended up with the shaft rotating in what was left of the handle so that was a useless waste of a screwdriver, old as that tool was. Luckily I had a similar size screwdriver, cut that and it worked fine.

past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:38 AM   #22

one also might want to add buy TWO of these since they are so cheap

this part will break again
box321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #23

I followed the DIY instructions in these strings and I was able to change my ignition switch. I do have a few bumps on my head and did have some minor claustrophobia (and I am only 5'10" 195 lbs). I actually did drop my screwdriver a few times, but since I read up a bit I tied a shoelace to the end of it and was able to easily retrieve it.

My issue is the car starts, no problem, but even if I floor the gas I can't get it above 1500 rpms. Does anyone know if there is something I did that is tied to the fuel injection? It was nice to be able to turn the key smoothly again, but if I can't drive it there is no fun in it.

Thanks
trooney27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #24

Ignition Switch Issue ... SOLVED

Thanks to all for the information. Tonight my wife had to run and errand in my car and when she turned the key on it didnt start. So she turned it off and couldnt get the key out. I tried and tried and no luck. I remembered all this talk about ignition switches from a few years ago before I bought my car and looked up the resource again.

Great job on the description of this project. I have to say that once I was down on my back it wasnt too uncomfortable but getting in there and getting out was the hard part.

The best part of all this was about a year ago I bought the ignition switch in case it needed replacing and tonight I put it to use.

Car is working great again and on a scale from 1-10 for me this was a 3 just because of the getting in and out of the car. Tonight I wish I had arms as short as this guy :dance: as it would have been much easier.

Happy New Year to all.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #25

This really is an easy fix, I would recommend anyone to try it. Saved a ton of $$$

2003 Boxster S
1968 Camaro
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543196/2003-porsche-boxster
Pete03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #26

I thought it might help to list the tools needed for the job.

1 T15 L-key (at least 5 inches long) for the screw next to the headlight switch
1 T15 L-key (standard length) or insert for multi-tip screwdriver for the door side screws holding the vent panel on
1 medium Phillips screwdriver (long helps) for the screw inside the vent
1 small flathead screwdriver no more than 6 inches long, shorter may help (the cheap precision kit screwdrivers fit nicely, but tough to get enough torque to crack the loctite)
work light (cordless LED is nice)

Toughest part of the install was the whole idea of getting under the dash. I'm 5"11 220lbs, there's no way I can fit in there. Fortunately, my wife (although almost my height) is about 1/2 my size and she managed to fit in there and work from underneath while I did things from on top.

Thanks to mptoledo and his additional tip about the headlight switch, burgboxster for the part info and the link to Pedro's Garage, and Pedro for the great instructions!!! You guys rock!
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7L Tiptronic - Lapis Blue Metallic (gone)
orange260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #27

one also might want to add buy TWO of these since they are so cheap

Last edited by Trinidad at Pelican Parts; 10-19-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Luci4e56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #28

I just got done with this job and it's one of those that just needs a ton of patience only because of its location and the likelihood of not having the right screwdriver for the job.

I had a flashlight set up to point to the ignition switch. After putting a towel over the door sill, I slid my 6' 2" frame headfirst on my back under the dash with a 3 1/2" flat head screwdriver that you might use on a computer in one hand. The tip of that screwdriver is about 3 mm wide at most. There was still loctite from the factory on the two set screws. I moved as far to the gas pedal side as I could to get the bottom screw using my right hand and then used my left hand kind of over my head for the top screw. It wasn't easy mostly because I didn't have the perfect screwdriver for the job. But after about 30 minutes, I got it all done and went to start it up and nothing. I had panel lights but not even the click-click-click you might get from a dead battery. So I went back under and reinstalled it and made sure the switch was seated well and put it all back together in about 5 minutes and this time it started right up.

$10 part. 40 minutes of my time. Success and slightly sore back from doing some yoga I hadn't planned on.:dance:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18...7/mgaside2.jpg
impboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:48 AM   #29

Garage
When I replaced mine I took the seat out dropped the top and just laid on the floor it was easier that way, being 6'1" and 240lbs and 67 years old with a herniated disk in the lower back. Much easier that way.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:37 AM   #30

Remove the vent and duct first.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #31

Own a 2000 Boxster S with 55,000 miles.

Began having problems inserting and removing the key. Blower for heater/air conditioner stopped operating. Electric windows would not go up all the way on one occasion. The digital portion of the odometer began blacking out.

The issue with removing the key eventually got to the point where I pulled the plastic piece/end away from the metal part of the key, which remained stuck in the ignition. That happened twice. The only way to remove the metal portion of the key and shut off the vehicle was with a set of pliers.

Ordered the ignition switch from Peilcan and replaced it this morning. The part was approximately $12.00 with shipping.

It's a relatively easy do-it-yourself fix.

Firstly, you have to remove the duct work directly underneath the dash. It's easy as it squeezes together like an accordion and just pops off.

Once that is complete, the most difficult act is positioning yourself in such a manner whereby you can access the miniscule set screws that hold in the electrical portion of the switch.

You will need a flat head screwdriver the size of which you would use to adjust the screws on a pair of eyeglasses. My switch was original, so I had to scrape away wax or plastic or paint from the two screw heads.

Unplug the wire set/plug assembly from the switch.

DO NOT remove the set screws, simply loosen them enough so that you can pull out the switch. This is the most difficult part of the process since the screws are so tiny and somewhat difficult to access. I'm six feet tall and have wide shoulders, so it took some doing to get in a position on my back whereby I could get anything done. I had to use my left hand to loosen the screws. You will need a light. I used a headlamp which worked great as it keeps your hands free.

The switch will slide right out. I then unhooked the negative terminal on the battery.

I took the new switch and plugged it into the wire set/plug assembly. I would recommend doing that before you slide the new switch back into place as it plugs together a little hard. I couldn't imagine trying to do it any other way. Slide the new switch back into place and tighten the two set screws.

Replace the duct work.

Shut your doors and trunk if you have them open.

Hook up the negative battery terminal you previously unhooked. Shut the hood.

Insert the key and start 'er up. She should be good to go with no problems.

The new switch cured all of the little issues described above. The key also can now be inserted and removed with ease.
TK_Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #32

Ignition key won't turn

My initial problem was i could not remove key when in the off position. I have replaced the cylinder lock, steering wheel lock assembly complete with electrical component, immobilizer (little black box). Now with the new (used) parts in place i can't turn the key clockwise out of the off position. I can remove the key.

Any advise? I really need some.

Regards,
George Godfrey
gmgd54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #33

When I put the key in my ignition switch, sometimes it will turn and sometimes it won’t. I might need a new ignition switch. In the meantime will spraying the key with WD-40 help or hurt the situation? Please help. Thanks. Dave.
bigdave20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #34

Garage
You DO need a new ignition switch. Get it done!

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote