Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #1

grr radio install

hey fellas, im stuck in the middle of a radio swap.

I have a non-Bose system, CDR-220, and front amp/changer thing.

I'm putting in a basic aftermarket headunit (from crutchfield, all adapters and wires are correct).

I have the two harnesses correctly wired, and I get power on the unit and it appears to function correctly, but I get no sound at all. There are two stock harnesses, one thin, the other pretty wide. How do I take the cd changer out of the "loop" or if it's necessary, how do i hook it up correctly?

The 4 speaker wires are correctly color-matched to the wiring adapters 4 speaker wires (2 grays and 2 whites). On the adapter that came with it, there are also 2 greens and 2 violets that I did not use.

What did I hook up wrong? Also, I disconnected the alarm's spade connector from the metal housing, do I just leave this hanging when I reinstall the new unit?

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #2

upon further inspection, it appears that while I DO have the 4 "speaker" wires connected correctly, nothing is plugged into it at the adapter so it isn't affecting anything anyway.

I managed to get sound now, apparently I misread and the "remote system" (blue and white wire) needed to be connected. So now I have audio!

Now I need to figure out how to route the USB cord to the center console lol.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness
Now I need to figure out how to route the USB cord to the center console lol.
If you have pulled the carpeted side panels off the center stack (left one hits right calf) it will be obvious and easy.

You can run it into the batwing, which just pops out with gentle persuasion. Blank batwings are $6-7 at Suncoast if you do not want to cut the original. I put my radar detector remote in a blank one with some careful Dremel trimming work.

Or run to ash tray or armrest (slightly harder). Or over to the glovebox if you have one. I didn't check your year.

PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote