Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #1

Amplifier harness adapters

Hello. I made these amplifier connector adapters as part of my stereo upgrade, so I could replace my factory Haes 6x40 DSP amplifier with a good aftermarket unit without cutting or splicing into the factory harness where it connects to the factory amp.

I made the adapters using the factory AMP connectors from a donor Haes amp. The adapters connect to the factory harness connectors using the factory retention mechanisms.

There are two connectors on the factory harness. The input connector carries the line level signals from the radio and DSP control signals from the DSP controller to the amp. The output connector carries the amplified output from the amp to the speakers. I made an adapter for each.

The "input" adapter plugs into the 18-pin factory harness connector and terminates into standard front and rear female RCA connectors. A 16 gauge amplifier turn on wire is terminated with a 1/4inch female spade connector. All other pins (useless DSP) are present but not connected. All pins are encased in silicon for strength.

Input adapter pinout (looking at the silicon end of the connector):
The pinout agrees with the amp schematics available elsewhere on the forum.

1-----------------9
| o o o o o o o o o |
| o o o o o o o o o |
10----------------18

2 RR-
3 RL-
4 FR-
5 FL-
7 12V switched (amp turn on)
10 RR+
11 RL+
12 FR+
13 FL+

The "output" adapter plugs into the 20-pin factory harness connector and terminates into 6 pairs of 14 gauge speaker wire with male 1/4inch spade connectors. The 12V main power and ground pins are present but not connected since they are not suitable for aftermarket amp use. All solder joints are wrapped in heat shrink tubing. The plug had small "keys" which mate to the factory harness surface. The keys were shaved to allow the adapter to work with different harnesses (M680, etc).

Output adapter pinout (looking at the heatshrink end of the connector):
The pinout agrees with the amp schematics available elsewhere on the forum. Also, the pin numbers are molded into the connector.

--11------------------20
| .o o o o o o o o o o |
| o o o o o o o o o o. |
1 ------------------10-

+,-
------
10,20 left dash
9,19 right dash
18,8 left door
17,7 right door
6,16 left rear
5,15 right rear

After upgrading my speakers, I pulled the factory amp, plugged in these adapters and connected my Alpine amp via ordinary RCA cables and an amp turn on wire. I connected the Alpine's outputs to the output harness with additional 14 gauge speaker wires. Presto.

I have a 2000 Boxster S with the DSP package (M680). I used these adapters with the factory Becker CDR-220, Alpine F-450 amp, and Dynaudio System 340 speakers and crossovers with excellent results. I only tested on my car, but as far as I can tell from the schematics, this should work fine with other non-M680 versions.

I eventually changed my crossover setup which forced me to run all new RCA adn speaker wires, so I'm not using these adapters anymore. I might sell them to recover my cost. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by dalvarado; 05-16-2010 at 04:47 PM.
dalvarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:47 AM   #2

Awesome

Hey that's awesome! I ended up cutting my amp harness - just never found anyone that made the connector that you designed.

-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:01 AM   #3

You've got PM's.

funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote